Help Needed: Which low wing trainer

PatchMaster

My instructor feels that I will be able to move on to a low wing trainer in about a month's time. My wife bought the Great Planes Cherokee as a present for me but I feel that it's too advance at this stage. Could you please recommend some low wing trainers? I've been hearing all sorts of opinions, including Hangar 9's XT 40, Phoenix Model's Tucano etc. My instructor is superb and I know that at the end of the day he will make the right recommendation, however I would like to hear other people's views as well.

Many thanks in advance

Advert

Low wing trainer? There's one that I would recommend above most. The Cermark Graduate. Al's hobbies will sell you one for about £100. Might be a bit more than the Black Horse models but you certainly get what you pay for. When I compared mine with a club mates Travel Air the graduate was clearly the better model. I've had two, they've notched up in excess of 120 flights between them and I'm still learning some new moves. Powered with an Irvine 46 it'll go like stink, but when throttled back flies and lands like a pussycat. Even though I've moved on to other models the Graduate is always flight ready at the back of the workshop, just in case.

Guys, many thanks to you all. Invaluable advice and I will explore all concepts. Re trice or taildragger, I think I would go for the tryce initially. I don't think my landings are that good at the moment, however the Super Trainer 60 is a bit of a handfull suffering from certain structural problems (i.e. very weak undercarriage)