EBAY suppliers

Terence Lynock

For some time now I have bought cheap covering material for models that were just ideas and experiments from RTF Models on eBay, the stuff they supplied had the trade name 'Venilia' printed on the backing paper which RTF had tried to scrub out with a black marker so noboddy would know what it was.
'Venilia' works to a point but it is not as accomodating as Solarfilm or whatever, it is thicker and heavier but is cheap so you get what you pay for, the problems started with my last order for matt white so I ordered a roll which arrived as usual wrapped in cling film.
On opening it I found it was not the usual 'Venilia' but clearly marked 'FABLON',
this stuff will not shrink properly and the glue layer will not cope with tension such as is generated by heat shrinking.
According to RTF Models you shouldnt heat shrink it! you just stick it on and rub it down and you shouldnt use it to cover built up wings but none of this is mentioned in the eBay listings, if it had been I wouldnt have bought the stuff in a thousand years as it is useless.
Right now I have made a Paypal claim but I doubt I will get a refund as it is the seller on eBay that always comes out on top in a case like this, my advice is give eBay sellers of covering material a wide berth because you just may end up with junk after paying out good money.

regards,     Terry

Advert

THing is Phil the stuff they used to supply was usable for the avarage fun build that if it got totalled didnt matter so much, not the kind of model you stick twenty quids worth of Solarfilm onto.
The last roll they sent is clearly marked 'FABLON' in big 'trade mark' letters and also instructions on how to cover work surfaces and other flat areas and as you say was the bees knees in the 60's when a new table for the kitchen cost you the price of a roll of sticky backed plastic,

regards,         Terry

Hi Phil,
                the coloured stuff this seller usually supplies is just about usable but is heavy compared to Solarfilm etc, it is on par with the stuff on cheaper ARTF's and has the trade mark 'Venilia' on the backing paper even though the seller has tried to blank this out with a felt tip pen.
The stuff he sent me wasnt 'Venilia' as usual but 'FABLON', the item nr is 370181743838, my best advice is steer clear of it unless you are pimping your wheelie bin,

best regards,         Terry

Hi Bert,
               when I was making a pitance building scale sailing ship models for museums and collectors I used to get a lot of materials from Fred Aldous and have looked at this stuff before on their site, may well start ordering from them as they can be trusted.
I only use this stuff for experimentals that may well only last one flight....but thats how it goes.
If the experiment works out I build a more refined version from better materials, presently toying with the idea for a Star Wars Naboo fighter but it looks a bit of a pig, would have to enlarge the main wing and maybe  tail fins made from clear Acrylic sheet so they were not so noticable in flight, may power it with a couple of small props one in each pod,

regards,          Terry

Hi Bert,
            this isnt really the place to discuss it but basically an experimental Naboo fighter at 30'' span with enlarged reflex wing with elevons and a 'dart flight'  fin and stabs like a Phantom on the tail spike made of clear Acrylic sheet.
Twin brushless motors in the pods and thats about it, may work.
Back to the subject matter had a look at Aldous' site and the prices compared with the muppet eBay seller is identical and as I can buy by the metre if I need a long length then they will cut to size, thanks for reminding me of Aldous Bert,

regards,            Terry

Edited By Terence Lynock on 21/05/2009 15:57:23

Paypal are a laugh a minute and eBay not much better, for a refund you need to return the goods in original condition unused with original packing.
So with the covering material how do you know if it is faulty unless you use it? so you use it and find it faulty but its not in original condition anymore so you cant return it.
I think finally I got through to both eBay and Paypal that the only way to know if the material was faulty was to stick it on but then etc etc...
I convinced them that the stuff was unfit for the use it was sold for and they granted a full refund with return postage - as long as i return the material in original cond........is it really worth it??.
Now I get an email saying they realise I cannot return it in original condition for the (to me obvious) reason that it had to be used to find it faulty and instruct me to send it back anyway, so all the scrap I pealed off the wing I have stuck back onto backing paper and rolled it up and posted it off registered and trackable just like it said on the can......
Its only a few quid but the attitude and rudeness of RTF Models has annoyed me to the point I am determined to see this through, he said I was wasting my time and wouldnt get a refund.........got news for him....

regards,      Terry

FABLON is what we use to cover maps to water proof them before we go on exercise or OPs. I doubt that it is actually FABLON anymore but the generic name we use for any clear adhsive plastic film. I allways wondered where the term came from.

Jon