Maiden flight Dead stick!!!

Andy Pickford

Well went off to the field with my new Hanger 9 Showtime 50 with an OS max 55 ax in the front. 
I tweaked the engine on the stand and it ran really well got it all sorted. When i built up the courage it was time to put it where it belonged. Took off got the trims sortedthen i heard it start to cough and splutter!!! I wont tell you what i said as i would get told off!! Anyway i got it down in one piece.

When i looked at the fuel line to the carb there was loads of air bubbles in it! So i wondered if there was a leak somewhere. When i got home i took the tank out, filled the sink put a fuel bung in one line and blew in the other. Nothing it is airtite. so i was thinking that the tank was vibrating about and bubbling the fuel up in the tank. So ive packed more sponge round the tank to make sure it doesnt move about!! I'll try again tomorrow. 

Advert

• 3 weeks later...
Andy,

When you have the engine running as you wish, do you apply full power and hold the aircraft nose up to see that the needle settings are ok for high angle of climb flight?

It might be that the needle settings are ok in level flight (Setting up on the ground) but as you climb it starves the engine of fuel because you are too lean.