Introduction

I thought I would give it a go...

I started modelling at school (way back in the 60's) with control line flying,
a wing with an engine really, but it was fun... then rapidly moved onto 'free flight' type models, lots of running aroung the playing field at school and hoping it did'nt go too far....  there was a couple of us that were really interested and we still are today, but my best mate has moved onto jet powered helicopters now...

We then made the massive step of Radio Contol....  much more fun, but on
a very limited budget whilst at school, not anything huge...  two channels.

I then joined the RN...  not much space on board for r/c planes, but there was space for r/c boats.... so I then moved over to racing hulls with a nice 10cc engine in, which I could use pratically anywhere (making sure I cleaned the salt water out!!)  However whilst on leave at home, I bumped into a fellow modeller than gave me an original trainer aircraft which he used to produce and sell... (I still have it now, a bit battered but still flying).

I then moved onto scale boats, I enjoyed the building from scatch from plans and eventually built a 5ft sea link ferry and managed to use all 5 channels on various things, and even managed to make the bow thruster work etc... however kids came along and lack of space ment I had to get rid of that one..

So now retired from the RN, but still working.... and still have the kids at home (should have gone by now... one nearly 30!!!)  and still have lack of space... however I am in the process of building a hill soarer as I now live on Portland with lots of hills with sea brezzes around... the intention, once the kids eventually move out (hopefully soon as my son is now looking......) to get back into it properly...  mind you I say that about winning the lottery too...

I am also for my sins, a fully licenced (A class) Radio Ham, and have instructed  and examined for the RSGB in CW. Play guitar in a local band. Play snooker (in season) for a local team and have little time for much else...

I am generally a laid back person, as in 1982 whilst serving on HMS Antelope was sunk in the Falklands and I am a member of SAMA. (tends to chance your outlook on life)..

thanks me in a nutshell..

Mal

Advert

Hi Mal, welcome aboard from me. Do you know Eric Bray here on the forum? He's a radio ham and ex RN.

Funnily enough I was into RC boats (so was Graham RCM&E editor) back in the 1980s, still like 'em too. Interested to see that the new breed of RTR boats has boaters talking in the same was as flyers do ARTF.

Feel free to ask if you've got any questions   There are plenty of fine knowlegeable people here on the forum