Blizz Build Boo Boo!

Help! Blizzard Build Boo Boo!

There I was carefuly building my Blizz (spackle, X-wave tape and profilm), when I was rushed during the fuz build. I glued the fuz together and forgot to insert the wing retaining bolts........................ 

Im thinking of just CA'ing the nuts inside the fuz and using longer nylon screws. Or cutting out the nut slots from the wing saddle and epoxying them in with a bit of X-weave tape over the saddle.

How strong is the wing saddle area? If I need to bodge to get my nuts in I may as well reinforce at the same time?

Advert

Ahem - I also did this

Pleased I was not the only one

I knicked a bit of foam out either end of the saddle - enough to allow me to get the nuts in. I then CA'd them in and closed the bodge up with hot glue. Since then I sheared both bolts in a nasty so had to install longer Dubro bolts - but no problem holding the wing on at all.

Job jobbed
As above I just cut enough foam to get the nuts in and then gooped the foam back.
All built now ready for balancing and chucking.
I have'nt put lead in the front yet but it feels much lighter than I expected. And thats with a wing that has full EPP60 racer treatment.

If you have two sevos in the back, then it will need a good chunk of church roof in the front.

Mine has x-weave tape and profilm throughout, and balanced up, it weighs 920G.

On the slope it just eats up the sky and flies in anything from 10mph to (so far at least) 40.

Tell us how the maiden goes please.

Maidened and broken
Tried it out after the EPP60 league race down at the Longman in East Sussex.
Windy but not too lifty. OK though.
It flew but needed tons of up trim and never felt bouyant enough to hotdog.
I took it round a bit low in a stoogy bit of the bowl. It clipped the long grass and tumbled over. I thought it would have been fine as it was only a knock. Turns out the entire wing saddle got ripped off!! The nylon screws held and the rest of the saddle and mounting is still attached to the wing!
I did notice though this morning why it might have happened. I incorrectly routed the servo connectors thru the larger aperture rather than the multiplex green hole )of which I chose not to use, going with standard ext leads). So the wing servos were not running straight into the fuz but trapped for about 15mm betwen wing and saddle.
This obviously mucked up the wing incidence which is why I needed tons of up trim. Also because the conections were looped around and back into the wing the stress forces acted on the saddle not the mounting screws.
A bit of a bummer but a slosh of CA and some tape will have her as good as new again.
Maiden re-maiden next week!

Bad  luck MooSey.

Sounds like a CA, kicker and CW tape type  repair needed.

The wind incidence may have caused you to need the up trim.

In addition, what is your C of  G setting?

It should be 70mm back from the leading edge.

• 3 weeks later...
Finally got a chance to get to the slope today. 20-30mph winds so lots of lift.
She's very nice and sporty in those sort of conditions. Pretty much does what you want. Need to tweak the aileron throws as rolls are a bit barrelly. Energy retention was pretty good considering.
On the whole it makes a nice little sloper. Quick, agile and hard to see sometimes! I X countried it back to the car park and that was not relaxing!
I would say though as far as foam goes, a pukka EPP racing plank such as a M60 is in a different league.
I can't help but feel the mass of motor/battery combo and 500watts is what makes a Blizzard a Blizzard.
Certainly for the outlay she makes a smart little packaway tearaway

Here's something radical: given £80 and a choice between a Blizz and a Phase 6 - I'd go for the good ol' woody.

My Blizz: I need to stiffen the ailerons and give them some more throw - I just can't get it to roll - and if it does it's barrel-y. It does fly nice - no doubts there - but the model does seem a bit limited. Am I missing something?

Fast passes. Racing turns. Loops. Slermalling. That's about it as far as I can see. But I guess it does all those things quite well.

I can't wait to get my Luna up there

Mathew, I am of the same opinion. One of the chaps has a Phase 6 and I love the way it flies. Smooth, yet aerobatic and will soar in the lightest lift that a combat foamy would baulk at. The only gripe is the physical size of the brute. At 60 odd inches it is no hide in the boot model. I did spy a Sig Ninja that looks a bit Middle Phase ish....Only 58 inches, Anyone seen or flown one? 

The blizz is a heck of a lot of model for £80. I've seen video's of it in "hotliner" mode with a big motor up front and I don't have fast enough eyes/thumbs for that.

In a 20mph wind I'd fly the Middle Phase though every time over the blizzard. For many reasons, not of which I was able to articulate earlier to Matthew while flying it for the first time. It does have tremendous roll response, goes where you put it, is a pussy cat hands off and isn't even very difficult to land.

But that's not the reason, I'm coming to the conclusion that models like this have a bit more soul Pass me a lentil.

Comparing a Blizz with a P6 is a bit like chalk and cheese.
Given a fan up front the Blizz will do everything required of it's mission objective.
If I wanted more energy or a faster roll rate I would buy a different model.
I got my Blizz expressly to fly at a slope that is not huge, has great lift, shared by para/hang gliders and the proletariat.  For that it is suberb and god bless MPX!
If I fancy more energy or acro's then im lucky enough to have a Vector III and Javelin.
I certainly think it is 75% 60" mouldie performance for 1/2 the price.

Flies well inverted too.
Flew mine today in what would have been marginal lift for many models.
The Blizzard just soared upwards and when the wind dropped, 2mm of down flapperon set it right back up there - the Middle Phase would just have ended up at the bottom of the hill.
Fast, furious and great big loops.
Very much horses for courses.
For me the Blizzard has a lot of soul, and for the price, has unique performance.