Apollo 91 questions

Having read the article on the Apollo 91 V tail electric glider, I bought the plan. I have built from plans previously but there a couple of things that have got me thinking. Has anyone else built one yet?
The centre rib is shown as being 50mm  - I have never seen a centre section rib made from block, usually a couple of normal ribs and sheeting. Or am I barking up completely the wrong tree?
Second question is where to get 10mm and 3mm carbon tubes from without having to re-mortgage the house.
Also, can anybody recommend a suitable brushless set up rather than use a brushed 600?
All help appreciated.

Advert

You will obviously have to modify the fixing and motor mount abit, but I would suggest an outrunner will be better than an inrunner
heres a real cheapy 25A job which will swing a 9 X 5 prop on 3s Lipo and should give around 250Watts +.
If the model is less than 4lbs  ( which it will be ) than this should be fine for glider model.

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 01/07/2009 13:10:46

Andy, by co-incidence I spoke to Pete Kessell (designer) yesterday and he mentioned the tail seat. The plan was published a few years ago now but apparently there was an error which should have been corrected since. 

The tail seat should be parallel with the bottom of the fus and not angled. In other words no positive incidence. 

Very many thanks for the replies - good to know about the tail incidence David.

Looking at the motor, if I use a 3S Lipo, and the motor is pulling say 300 Watts then if memory serves that's 300(Watts) / 11.1 (Volts) = 27A. So a 30A ESC would be adequate - or not?

Andy

Just about .... although I usually like a bit more headroom.
However the figures are not quite right.
A 3s Lipo will only hold around 10.5 V under load.
Motors dont "pull" watts they pull current.
The current draw will decrease in the air as the prop unloads.
Its current that kills motors and ESCs not watts.
This is really where the advice to use wattmeter is normally given

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 01/07/2009 17:47:07

I've found the required carbon tubes on Micron R/C and a website called MUGI. At around £35 for the tubes and £65 for the motor/ESC/Lipo combination this isn't going to be a cheap build.

I haven't had a V Tail since an old Vertex sloper many years ago.

Timbo - point taken about a Wattmeter, can you recommend one?

Andy.

£65  for the powertrain ??
The motor I suggested earlier is about £7, 
heres a speedo for another £9
and a battery for £19
Thats approx £35 and providing you keep the current down to below 25A by selecting the right prop  - maybe 9 X 4 or  9 X 5 or so -  all this lot will be fine. 
I would suggest maybe propping to give about 20A ...which on a 3s Lipo will be about 200Watts +. 

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 03/07/2009 17:24:41

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...

My pleasure.......while the article doesn't specifically mention it....the tips are joined by wire. If you want to glue it all up you'll end up with a very long wing.......so, use removable wire joiners, with a bit of tape for security, and you've got an easily transportable three piece wing --- right?

• 1 month later...

To any person thinking about building this model and using latest outrunner motors and lipos i would suggest lenghting the nose by 1.5" or 2" this will get over the problem of adding large amounts of lead to get correct CofG.

I am just starting to build this model and will lenghten the nose foward of F2 by 2"

carbon fiber 10mm and 3mm i have found the Balsa Cabin shop, www.balsacabin.co.uk to be about the cheapest,request their catalogue,i use them via post for balsa as well,super service from them.

regards Jeff