Which petrol warbird

Peter Budd

I have a bit of cash at hand now and want to build a petrol powered warbird.  I don't really want an ARTF as they usually have a horrible finish.  I also don't have the time to build a full trad kit.  I have a Hacker spit already with a 120 fourstroke at 69 inches and would like something like that sort of thing....ie fibreglass fuzz, foam wings etc.  Something I can experiment on with my airbrush and weathering skills.
Any advice on what would be suitable.  I want to keep the engine size as small as i can to keep the whole project as cheap as I can.  I would be looking at something like the MVVS 26cc engine or similar.
Cheers Pete

Advert

Mustang would be my first choice I'd guess as I have a spitfire and have had a hurricane in the past.  I think Fighter aces would be ideal but also expensive by the time I've kitted it with retracts aswell.  I don't have the skill or time to build from a plan.  They would aslso have to be able to post to BFPO address.
Pete

Peter which BFPO add your at, if your not on ops they can post up to 30kg to you and total length 2m, so when traders in uk moan cause its BFPO state the rules, if we not a op BFPO add we pay same price as UK-UK... However we cannot send from abroad back to the uk.. BFPO for you hey? If your on OPs max weight is 2kg, snail mail via RAF..

If in doubt PM with postage probs to BFPO and will make it clearer for you!

I don't think you can go wrong with a H9 Mustang in that case. It takes the 26cc size engine, needs little time for completion and is a Mustang! No problems with the finish either as its H9 quality. Infact it would be an ideal starting point for some additional detailing. There were a few pics in RCM&E or BMFA news recently of someone who'd done a similar job on the similar size H9 Thunderbolt.

• 4 weeks later...
Peter,

Go down to local BFPO Post Office there and double check with the squaddies in the PO, ask them them to quote what's written in JSP 361 I think on the regs of postage to/from BFPO.. I have a copy at work and will look first thing in the morning for you and let know 1st hand what regs are for Cyrus and if it entitles civvies (Probably only if you work for the mod etc) re. Postage to Cyprus, I cant see a problem on SIZE as I am in Germany and get BIG models and SMALL models all the time! Ops = OPERATIONAL status, ie someone serving in Iraq, Afgan where postage size is limited and weight to a max of 2kg, this is for logistical/practical reasons...

If all is good on the Regs then P&P will be same cost as the model being sent from a UK add to another UK add..  Obviously the model would come Parcel Force via BFPO London (I assume the norm)

I am the local regi posty so