Electric conversion

Tony Jones

Advert

Have just started my first electric conversion, and thought about this, but in the end, i purchased an engine mount from BRC, which still had to be modified but is spot on, the main advantage of it for me, as it's my first conversion, is that you end up with the same mounting points as the IC engine would have used....a good starting point, especially in my case with such a weird plane....the Gee Bee Racer...now I just have to work out if the Chinese really DO mean C of G 110mm back from the leading edge!!!!

Hi chaps, if you look at the mounting plate (1/4 ply) it mounts on the original bulkhead with allen keys, these line up eith the IC mount. 4 bolts and its back to IC. The threaded rod allows the motor to be positioned EXACTLY where you want it, I never can find a comercial mount that positions the depth just where you want it LOL The one error I did make, is to not use a locking nut against the rear nut (bulkhead side), that way if you take the motor off the settings are not lost. The other thing is the studded rod is less than a pound for a meter from B and Q. If you look really closely you will see that they are not studding in this case but 4 inch long 4mm bolts. The heads are counter sunk and epoxied to the back of the leccy 1/4 ply mount. Good luck with the Gee Bee a challenging model if slowed down too much LOL

Yeah, ta Danny, now Iv'e finished it.....I'm scared to death of it! 1.5kg....little stubby wings....as soon as this weather has cleared up, we shall see! Mind you....it looks stunning!

I have to admit, I only have one reservation about this conversion [which doesn't apply to you, as you have used bolts], my experience of the sort of threaded bar often available is that it is very weak, I wouldn't be tempted to use it for anything over an inch or so, I'd go for bolts.

Hi Scott, If its the same Gee Bee a friend has got it flies really well. The threaded rod is a lot stronger than you think (I thought the same LOL). Used singularily I would agree, but combined they are plenty strong enough, we have used them in models with 5KW motors and they are solid. They do give and bend on a serious crash, but I would rather that than damage the motor.