Portable MP3 players

JFH

My nephew's Ipod has broken and he's only had the thing for 18 months. The store said they could send it away to be repaired, but it would cost almost as much as if he bought a new one! Crazy. My brother's all set to buy him a new one, but I've read about other people having problems with them. Here's my question: what are the alternatives like? Do any of them match up to the Ipod in terms of functionality? I don't really have a clue about these things.

Advert

You could try a mobile phone with a decent mp3 player. I like Sony Ericsson phones which have good players and with a 1-2gb memory card you're getting a decent amount of music on-board. The SE 750i or w800i have come down in price. They are great to use, have a decent 2MP camera and good MP£ built-in, well worth a look.

JFH,

There has been a FURORE about this exact problem, and I think I'd be right in saying it was featured on BBC's Watchdog some time ago.

Basically, Apple are just not interested in repairing iPods, despite the costs.

I'm sure if you do a quick search on the web you'll find lots of stuff on this topic.

JC

Hi JFH,
There's lots of choice out there in mp3's that match if not outperform iPods, especially if your looking for 2GB capacity. I got my lad one from Aldi before xmas for £49.99 and it is brill. Has games, 1.7 colour screen, plays videos and has am FM tuner built in. Even came with armband carrier and rubber case. You can get similar to this on E-bay too!

I used to read a Television magazine which used to deal with TVs, video recorders, Camcorders etc., etc.. In the readers letters it was often the case that one would read of repair men desparing of making a decent living out of repairs.
It seemed to be the general case that customer wanted the repair done yesterday, free of charge and a lifetime guarantee !
As anyone who has taken a peek inside any piece of up to date electronics will tell you some of the components need a magnifying glass to see what it is. I can quite believe it is cheaper to assemble a new unit than to try and repair a duff one.

Mike