Prop Choice

Phil May

I'm using a S/C 61 with my Big Stick 60 and at the moment I am using a 12x7.5  prop. The model pulls well in all flying conditions but it is very noisey, it screams at 3/4 to full throttle(I'm 50% deaf and it irritates me, god knows how it sounds to my fellow flyers) 
Someone suggested increasing the pitch, someone else said both dia' and pitch! Any ideas on this? Also I presently use 10% duraglo fuel, this I find ok excaept for the oil residue left all down one side of my model. I have a deflector fitted to the exhaust and tried pointing this various ways but  with no success. Is this something I've got to live with or will a change of fuel help?
 Thanks in advance. 

Advert

Phil,
I would think the motor capable of running on a 13X7--13X8. Have you checked the RPM
with a tacho? Try using a straight fuel instead of 10% nitro.  I had been an I/C flyer for 60 years (am now electric) and never ever use a Nitro% fuel.
I found that some new to the hobby used their Nitro % figure almost as a status symbol.

As for oil residue, the excess amount of oil in the fuel is not just for lubrication but cooling. .  In the past I found some fuel manufacturers ommited oil content.
For this guy,  No Spec,   No Buy,   

As for cleaning down, do it between flights, especially in frosty weather.
Errr.......you haven't  GOT to live with it, today we have a second option,