Winsock problem

Olly P

All,
I'm having some problems with my laptop, a little while ago it decided to stop connecting to the internet and the diagnostic tool on IE said it had a winsock problem. I tried a winsock fixure I found via the desktop, but to no avail. I then downloaded IE8 and installed it and it all worked (ish) for about 2 hours last night, this morning it has fallen over and will not connect to the internet again, and neither will Firefox.

Apparently the winsock catalogue is still incorrect...anyone got any ideas to bring it back to life?

Advert

olly p- try the system restore-every time you switch on your pc will take a restore point(i take it your using XP)...try one of the last good point's-it might work----if not try a Hammer.....they allway's work..........

ken anderson..............

ps - system restore is in the tool's of window's..

Olly

Do you have the Windows XP media?  Also do you know which service pack your running.  If I remember correctly XP has its own tools for resetting the catalogue.  If you can confirm the above, if I remember I'll run it past our techie guys at work.

Mart 

Will that fix mine??? Mine fails to start up and needs to be turned off and back on ( twice usually)then when it does power up and log on to the net it restarts after 1-5 minutes. then it tends to be okay??? I have backed up all my files and removed them from the P.C. . Iam running XP, on IE8 ,office 2007, Strange can not live with it. Can not live with out it!

Posted by Gaz Elliott on 04/08/2009 21:16:21:
Will that fix mine??? Mine fails to start up and needs to be turned off and back on ( twice usually)then when it does power up and log on to the net it restarts after 1-5 minutes. then it tends to be okay??? I have backed up all my files and removed them from the P.C. . Iam running XP, on IE8 ,office 2007, Strange can not live with it. Can not live with out it!

Gaz id give it a try mate, im having to use daily at work for similar problems, wouldnt beleive how much crap are on peoples pcs!

Cheers Eric  will pick one up and try . The combo fix has helped but still struggles on set up. So i think it is worth a try won't loose any thing.
Maybe a folder should be set up for PC tips and advice. After all that is how we are all able to read/ take part in the forum.