Old Formosas Never Die

Marc Humphries

Sadly they do occasionally die.  My beautiful Formosa, 7 years old, patched and repaired so many times, was killed in action today on its first outing with its fourth new motor after its last one burnt out.  It was flying better than ever with its new setup, and was not even half way through its flight time, when its final demise came suddenly in a mid-air collision with an Extra.  The Extra lost its rudder but landed safely, but the Formosa was not so lucky.  Its wing came off and fluttered down to earth slowly, but the fuselage minus wing made an immediate nose-dive earthwards and buried the new motor deep into the soil.  Needless-to-say, there were tiny bits of styrene foam everywhere, and there is no way back from this one.

Thankfully the battery, ESC, servos, and RX  were all undamaged.  The motor shaft is bent but I might be able to replace it.  ALSO ... I can use most of these parts in my NEW one the unopened box of which has been sitting on the shelf in my hobby room for months - bought for just such as occasion.  So all being well I should be flying Son-of-Formosa before too long - but perhaps I should buy other kit as "insurance" to keep on the shelf!  After all, the Formosa is far too good to be without one!

Advert

Yes, full military honours!  (But not before some organ-donor surgery to remove all the re-useable bits - thankfully most of them will fly again).

The Formosa is still listed, but it was never made in EPO foam - only styro.  There are EPO warbirds in the range though - An FW190, a Harvard and a P40.  All still available as slope-gliders I believe.