Seems like nothing new?

flytilbroke

I have been looking through some slighty out of date Magazines, not I hasten to add (brownie points, Editor   RCM&E.

In one dated April 1998, there, in part of an article is the famous Boddo, Bitching about great flying sites in the US of A. More especially about how they build thier own large sites with very nice facilities on site.

Now, I do know that some of our clubs in the UK have managed this too, even though we in the UK have some serious obstacles to overcome which the guys over there don`t have much of.

The first I think is that they USA guys have a great deal of "Real Estate" whereas we are much more heavily populated per acre

Second, but maybe first is that they do not have the Big Brother restrictions which can allow incoming residents to have our clubs restricted or closed down.

Or, is it that most of the UK are of a mindset that some-one else should always supply all the hard work and CASH?

I live in a built up area - Basildon, Essex.  Flying sites are at a premium.  I have looked into purchasing 'rights' from one source or other and can say that generally £1000-00p PA plus liabilty inssurance seems to be the norm.  My local council wants NO resident within 500 mtrs.  Noise levels  to be at BMFA guideline levels.

Building facilities takes money - aka membership.  From what I have experienced on this forum alone:  Is that there are some GREAT facilities about.  Some are on a par , and some better than the US of A.

Many I fear 'don't know their born', sometimes.  The South, South West, Wales, the North, All (around) Londinium of course are very fortunate.

Clubs, well equiped or not take membership and a willingness, 'to go forth and multiply' at their own behest.  If they don't achieve the overall expectations of 'that' membership.  Re-elect !!

Edited By Basildon Biggles on 17/08/2009 16:30:38