Blade Pitch adjustment

Geoff Daunt

I have the Twister 3D which was set up for me by my model shop in England. I am now out of the country and having fun flying it at home in sunny Spain. I have been flying for a few months now and have mastered the hover and am comfortable flying up to 10m height and getting it back down safely. Fingers crossed l still have not broken anything !!!
I am now thinking about increasing the pitch on the blades. They were set up with 0 degrees negative and about 8 degrees +.
My thinking is that l shoud be able to acheive the same degree of lift/ height for a lower motor speed and therefore increase flying time. Am l right or on the wrong track !! Currently l need about 70% throttle to get the required lift.
The instructions do not tell you how to increase the pitch. I have disconnected the motor leads to see how the pitch works and see that as l increase the throttle the 3 servos all move down to give the desired pitch movement.
My questoin is how do l increase the pitch.?
Do l disconnect the servo arms and reduce by a few turns on each of the 3 servos or do l do it somehow through the transmitter.?
I have a Hitech Eclipse 7 TX with a dedicated helicopter option set up.
Sorry if this is fairly basic stuff but my previus experience is with gliders and a basic ic trainer.
If l should leave well alone please say so.
Many thanks.
Geoff.

Advert

use the "EPA" end point adjustment to adjust the servo travel, i am not familiar as to the correct pitch adjustment, it should say in the instuctions max pitch + and - for 3D flight, but as you are far from home make a note of all settings so that you can put it back to where it is should you mess it up

the basic setup should be
-5/+5/+10
a better setup is
-10-/0/+10
and idle up 1 set at 80-80-70-80-80 to start with
this will give you better control and more stable with the head speed
to set up the pitch is not easy to explain
as you have to start from the servo setup and a pitch gauge
if you need help i can look in my manual and my setup and take you step by step
Ron

Thanks for the response Ron.
I read through the Heli set up section in the Hitech manual last night for the umpth time but when l got to Throttle curve and Pitch curve set up l must admit to a feeling of complete loss and a dread of messing things up completely if l started to tamper with the current set up.
Does all this pitch and throttle curve function apply equally to electric motors as well as i.c.? The manual seems to imply a heli set up for an ic engine...Just shows how little l know of heli set up. !! The model shop in Engand set it up for me when l was not present so l really do not know what they did...except to set it up initially as a trainer and not with the 3D settings. As l said in my first thread l believe the set up is with 0- and about 8+.
I did buy a pitch gauge but to date have not neede to use it.
If you have the time and would like to take me through it, as a complete novice, then l am happy to have a go. Perhaps others would also find it usefull since l am sure there will be lots of others out there like me. As a matter of interest do you also have the Twister 3D or something bigger and better ?.
Thanks for the interest.

hi Geoff
i have the twister /titan/esky cool /smj in electric
in glow 30/50 size
knight pro 50
knight sport 50
robbe moskito sport mk1 and mk2
hawk sport 50
hawk sport with scale body
caliber 30
raptor 50
as the Mrs said you cannot fly them all at once and i have to agree its time for some to go
any way what tx are you using that will be the start just re read the above the same tx as me that is a good start
then we can go onto the heli
i will start to go into detail later
can you insert pictures on this forum
Ron

first the tx
your epa on all channels should be set at 100%
as you move to each channel move the sticks for that ch to make sure min is 100% and max is 100%
the 2 dials at the top of the tx should be at mid point
next remove one or 2 leads from the esc to the motor
this is just in case you power the motor up while working on the heli
will move onto servos next
Ron

Hi Ron, With that no of Heli's l guess you know a thing or 2 !!!
Do not know for certain but guess pictures may be a problem. I know you can post pictures of Models on the site but never seen anything attached to threads.
Will check EPA's and get back to you later. Just got some guests arriving for a few days so might have a problem escaping to my model room......do not wish to upset the wife to much..." cannot you do that later" !!!!
Regards, Geoff.

Thanks Ron. Seems a good way to proceed.
Been through EPA on all channels as follows.
Ch 1 -Ail. 100% each way.
Ch 2 - Elev. 100% each way.
Ch 3 - Throt. 100% each way
Ch 4 - Rudder. Currently set at 60% each way. I have reasonable rudder response but assume you want me to set at 100%. Please confirm.
Ch 5 -Gyro- 100%L/U l guess on the gyro there is nothing else to move on the sticks!!
Ch 6 - Pitch. 100%.
So other than rudder the shop seems to have set up ok..
I have put VR1 and VR2 at mid point.
The model shop also told me to ensure that when l flew the heli all the other switches were in the forward position.
Look forward to hearing from you in due course.
Geoff.