Can anyone recommend

Robert Watkins

I am considering buying the Proxxon KS230 saw. I have always hankered after one of these but am not sure if it has enough capacity or capability for aero modelling. Has anyone got one of these and how do you find them?
8mm in soft wood seems quite small although my intentions are not great but to build a couple of medium size traditional build semi scale models.
I shall be grateful for any comments or for alternative suggestions.

Rob

Advert

Having just looked at this saw, I see it is a small circular saw. Unless you are thinking of ripping off a lot of thick strip wood I suggest that a table type jigsaw might be more suitable?
I have a Dremel jigsaw with various blades and I find it very useful for cutting block wingtips,curved or straight ply formers, firewalls, etc. especially those with internal cut out sections etc. What do others think?

8 mm in softwood means Pine and similar timbers, less dense Balsa will be an easier cut. (Although confusingly Balsa is classified as a hardwood!)

Edited By Richard Bond on 25/08/2009 19:34:50

Thank you Richard that's a very valid point.
Sorry I have not replied sooner but I am guilty of not having used this forum for a whole year and I could not see how to place a post. (Others must think I am stupid!).This posting box did not appear at first for some reason, even after I had logged on.
Anyway the fact is I already have a scroll saw but wish I had bought the Proxxon fretsaw because it appears to be better quality and probably more accurate and better suited to model work. So really I am looking for an excuse to buy the bench saw but I suppose I must admit to not really needing it.
I suppose a razor saw and mitre box is a cheaper alternative for small amounts of cutting.
Oh well maybe I should sell the Titan scroll saw I have and get the Proxxon, although the Titan performs well enough. Maybe I should get a life!!

Rob

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Robert . Have you thought about a band saw ? I bought a small band saw a few years ago and wouldn't be without one now . Ideal for cutting strip from sheet etc and cutting awkward shaped formers etc . They cut much faster and accurately than a scroll saw , although the scroll saw is great for internal holes . ie removing the inside of formers .

E.D.

Good point, E.D. I have heard this suggestion before, and taking the cost into account, I think it may be a bit ambitious for me, just for modelling. Actually, I have now just got the Proxxon fret saw, but haven't tried it yet. I may keep the Titan for heavier cutting jobs as the Proxxon, as I expected, is made for modelling work. It will cut up to 40mm in soft wood which is mostly balsa anyway. But if anyone is interested in the Titan, which is brand new, just used once, I'll let it go for £35!
 I should add, it would need to be collected because of the weight, but I could meet the buyer part-way.

Rob