wot trainer electric?

Paul  Williams

• 3 years later...

I recently converted The WOT Trainer to electric. Looked at the WOT conversion but did not like it.

I have mounted the battery (4S LiPo) on 3mm ply and put it in the top part of the fuel tank space. Underneath I put the ESC. At the rear on this area there are 2x 6mm sq strengtheners on which I rested one end of the ply and on the front bulkhead I glued 2 more 6mm sq and then glued a approx 20mm wide piece of 3mm ply for the other end to rest on. I also glued 2 x 3mm captive nuts to screw the battery mounting to.

For the motor i made a spacer which fitted the existing IC motor mounting position and the electric motor mounting plate.

I will try to get some drawing and pictures to illustrate what I have done.

Here are some Pics and drawings:

image02.jpeg

image04.jpeg

image06.jpeg

wot-trainer0001.jpg

I forgot to add to the drawing that the battery is fixed to the mounting plate using Tiewraps, with holes drilled to suit your battery.

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 19/12/2012 12:20:49

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 19/12/2012 12:21:17

• 1 month later...
Hi, I have converted my wot trainer to electric. I used the KMS Quantum 4120/05 with a 60A ESC, and 4s 5000mah li-po turning a 12x6E prop.
I did have to put the li-po in the bay under the wing to get the correct C of G. It flyes fantasticly at half power with plenty to spare . Highly recomended. Good luck with your project.
John

Hi John

Ineresting that you put the battery in the bay under the wing. I would have thought the plane would be tail heavy? Mine balanced perfectly (@ 89mm from LE) with the battery in the fuel tank bay!

Also by having it there you can easily change the battery, without removing the wing, when you are at the flying field.

I also fitted a larger prop as it strugled to get up to speed on take off. In the air it flys like a dream!

Pity we have not had much weather suitable to fly lately.

Tony

• 11 months later...