Old Gear

Skeeter

I have my old HiTec Focus 6 on 35MHz It is about 8 years old and has never been used in anger. I have bought new NiCads for it and the receiver, in case of any probs with those. The set has no other damage and, as far as I can see there would be no problem using it.

Would it be advisable to replace the crystals too?

I've just bought myself a Spektrum DX6i so I can use that but I would like to have the option of using the old Focus if I can.
Cheers in advance

Nige

Advert

I am not an expert, but a positive range check woud be a good decider and if your club has one a frequency check. Our club checked us at the last meeting and a few peoples radios showed discrepancies with actual frequency and suggested frequency on the label. Not sure if new crysatls would cure it but I to would be interested in finding that out.

If the batteries were connected for any length of time check the wires from the nicads to the switch of both the transmitter and receiver for black wire corrosion.
This will mean easing back or even cutting into the insulation on the negative (black wire) at the battery end. If the conductor is not a bright copper colour and has a black crusty or streaky appearance then surgery is required before using.

If unsure, find somebody who knows what they are doing.