First flights :)

Russ1974

Saturday morning came, I was bright(ish) and early(ish), got to the model club just after 9am.  It was a lovely clear still warm day, so I was surprised to find I was the first and only person there.  I waited until 10.15am and still was on my own!!  So packed up and went home.  Went back out early afternoon to find around 8 people there, some I knew already.

Got my plane all set up and fuelled, tried to start it, and it wouldn't.  Spent a few minutes trying and then realised the prop didn't seem to be "biting" on the engine properly.  Took it to bits and it kind of fell apart in my hand, fairly surprised as I'd used all the proper tools and tightened it hard.  One of the other people came over and noticed that I'd got one of the bits on back to front - oops !  So he helped me put it all back together, properly, and once all was fastened again, tried to start it.  Engine was flooded .... I learnt the art of the "upside down plane tip whilst running the starter" which blew all the fuel out of the bits it shouldn't be.  Tried again, and it sprung in to life.  Phew

One of the guys fiddled with the enginer until it was ticking over nicely and not spluttering, and I asked if he would take it up for a test flight and to get it trimmed.   All went well, it flew very nicely, I even took the controls for a bit and did some circuits.  No buddy lead was available but I felt comfortable having flown helis years ago and learning all the controls on my sim.

Time to come in to land, so I handed the controls back.  It was a perfectly calm day and with no head wind or flaps, it was clear the plane was coming in quickly, resulting in a few go arounds.  Final attempt, the plane came down fairly quickly, started to bounce, and the nose wheel bent and then snapped off.  Doh!

Took the plane home, worked out that it was a fairly easy repair, and after a bit of bending with pliers and a bit of epoxying, the plane was ready to fly again - so back to the field I went!

This time they asked if I wanted to do the take off ... "sure" I said, so off I went, and took off!  I was doing circuits fine, both directions, some high some low, and felt really comfortable and confident.  I lost orientation once when a gust of wind made it start turning the opposite way to my control but I quickly realised and managed to recover.

Time to land ... "I'll give it a go" I announced, and they guided me through the correct approach path, angle and speed.  I did a few practice runs, coming in low and slow, then accelerating in to another circuit.  The time came when it was now or never - and I pulled it off!  Plane landed on the runway, stopped before the end of the runway, and was still in one piece!

I packed up and went home feeling very happy with myself.  Solo on my 2nd flight !!

I am sure I now need to go down hill quickly and write the machine off before I can progress ... it can't be THIS easy can it??

Advert