Ben Buckle - Mini Super

Advert

Steve,

Me----  a fiddler, guitar player of the first order,I know 1 more chord than Status Quo,

As you say its all about fun even if you cant start your inverted ST 90 in your Little Toot

Hohoho

This is a great hobby with great peeps to talk to.

Jimbo-----  and i've met Timbo    so there

PS   if anyone has problems with an IC engine Steve is better than the wizard of OZ and I really mean that folks.

Jimbo

Thanks Steve ,

Things are beginning to make more sense by the minute ..
I am off on Holiday for two weeks this weekend but can't wait to get back so I can start and purchase a few goodies to give this Mini some power ..

I have a pretty good idea of what I need , and with the advice give soo far don't think I will deviate too far from the already proven sugestions ..

I intend to run it on the standard wings to start with ., but as the plans that come with the BB kit are good enough to scratch build I will make another set with ailerons , don't think I will complicate things with flapos just yet , but  I will knock the diahdrel down a tadge ..

but first things first ,, get her airborne looking just like the old vintage she is ....

Thanks a bunch guys ....
I will resume posts after my hols and give evryone an update as to the progress ..

Well there is such a thing as evolution!  
People changed the Mini Super to a trike, KeilKraft widened the fus, some used alloy u/c instead of banded on, omitted banded on tailplane, fitted flaps & ailerons, covered in heatshrink film and fitted electric power.  So whats wrong with wing bolts!

Anyway its not exactly vintage its a post 1959 design because David Boddington said he designed it to fit into his 105E Ford Anglia!

Yeah, sorry kc...just being facitious!!!

My Mini Super is the most complex model I own in that it has flaps, ailerons, electric power, camera mounting points at each wingtip (with on/off control wires, a seperate UBEC to power it all....none of which is exactly "vintage"!!!

I'm sure you could fit wingbolts....probaly use two, one front & one back screwed into a nut mounted on a ply plate across the fuselage....a bit of block in the centre section wing sheeting where the bolts pass through to stop then crushing the wing when tightened. I would pay particular attention to how you mount the ply plates in the top of the fuselage too....maybe a bit of local reinforcement (possibly use a carbon/kevlar/epoxy composite to bring us bang up to date..).

One point I would add as well is that you are effectively reducing the access to the radio bay by fitting these wingbolt nut mountings......shouldn't be a problem as there is plenty of room but worth bearing in mind....

• 2 weeks later...
Good topic about about the wing bands ,
I must admit I had not considered fiting wing bolts ..and on reflection think I will stick to bands ,.specially as I just bought a big bag full from the Rufforth LMA show last month or so ....
Can't wait to get my motor and esc sorted out though , really want to get this bird ready for flying before Christmas if possible ....

The problem seems to be there is nothing much really strong enough for wing bolts at the front.  The wing dowel is unusually low down on this design, so I agree wing bands seem easier......pity.

( Steve you caught me there .....I thought you were serious when I replied to your comments! )

Well I Finally ordered the Motor and esc for my Mini Super ..
Had a good look around but decided to go for the deal sugested by Tim ...
No point on being given advice if you going to ignore it ...

Just need to sort out the Li-po now ,
Again any recomendations gratefully received ...... 

Edited By Trevor Meakin on 10/10/2010 17:53:22

Edited By Trevor Meakin on 10/10/2010 17:54:21

Motor and controller arrived , a Very fast delivery , I was well impressed ..

Tim , I am also impressed with the battery you have highlighted , seems a very good price too , may well end up going for 1 or 2 of those , will probably also buy the various connectors etc that I will need so I can get things connected up and tested ..

I must say being a newby to electric , the motors seem awfully small to do the job askede of them , but the poweer ratings all add up , so mighty things can come in small packages ......

Its true Trevor...you will be seriously impressed by the draft that little motor can produce.....

Be a good boy & beg, borrow, steal or even buy a wattmeter too....they can pay for themselves with one usage....if your set up is drawing too much current it will release the magic smoke & this can be very painful to the wallet!!!

Also a word on safety.....BE CAREFUL....electric driven props can bite just as hard as ic ones but have two extra features that can increase the bloodflow.... 1) they can start without warning where as an IC motor needs some action taking (glowplug, starter etc) 2) they don't stall.... so if you are unfortunate enough to get your fingers/ hair/leg/ other tender parts entangled with the prop then as soon as the obstruction is removed the prop will start turning again ready to have another go at you.....this is not like an IC motor which when stopped, stays stopped. Best approach is to consider the motor "live" (running) as soon as the battery pack is connected.....personally I haven't seen a motor start up spontaneously & hope I never do....once is probably once too often after all.....

Don't be frightened of it (because when we are scared of something we are more likely to make mistakes) but do RESPECT it ......

I hope you don't think I'm being patronising...its just that I'd hate you to get blood all over your nice new model....its hell to get off Solartex...

Oh & final point....if you are using a Futaba radio you need to reverse the throttle channel for most ESCs!!!

I have seen a motor start unexpectedly whilst the owner was changing the model memory or reversing the channel (at least we think that was what he was doing ).  Whatever he did there was a beep & the model started immediately but went away from all the people and straight into someone elses wing.  Chewed a big chunk out of the wing but better that than someones legs!

• 2 years later...

Hello and sorry for reviving an old post!

Im about to build a BB mini super and have been researching the build and any info that would help. Im going to convert to electric and I saw in the database that a TR 35-36C 1100kv was used although I cant find this exact motor anymore and there is a link on this thread that no longer points to a specific product so would any of the original contributers or others be able to point me in the right direction of current motors that would be suitable (brushless and for a 3s 2200 lipo?) i would be much appreciative

Mark

Hi Mark & welcome to the silliness.....teeth 2

The Mini Super on the database is mine.....you need about 250watts on a 1000-1100kv motor....I think I have an 8x6 prop on mine...I forget but I'll try & remember to check next time I'm in the garage....

They don't seem to list an 1100kv version of the 35-36 anymore but there is a 1000kv version.....that might be worth a try on a 9x6.

That motor is probably a little bit overkill for the 'Super.....it's rated at over 300watts....this slightly smaller version might be good....

Hope that helps!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I finished building, its not perfect but this is the first plane I have built from plan/kit since I was 14 thats ahem nearly 22years ago now. Anyways I added hatches to allow the lipo to be slid in under the prop at the front end also 2 upper hatches to allow access to ESC and battery if needed. All hatches are held on by type 52 neodymium magnets. 20130301_091945.jpg

Here are the hatches

20130301_092137.jpg

Note the air scoop on the lower hatch to aid cooling of the motor and ESC.

20130301_092003.jpg

Just waiting for some dry and less windy days for the maiden flight now

Edited By Mark Wood 2 on 01/03/2013 10:01:52

Looks really good Mark......I like the Go Faster stripes on the "Bonnet"....just like a 70's Capri....most excellent....I'm sure HRH Jim Carss had one just like it.....the Capri I mean!!! teeth 2

Have you popped it on the Wattmeter yet?? What power is she making?

My only...."concern"....(not really the right word but bear with me) is the position of the front wing band dowel.....if what I laughingly call my memory serves me the front dowel on the plan is fitted just below the windscreen.....where there is a bit of "meat" in the structure to take the strain. Putting it up there means there is only some thin sticks of balsa to take the weight of the model.....have you strengthened this area at all? If not I would question whether it is strong enough.....secret

Please check this & satisfy yourself its OK......a failure here would cause the model to plummet earthwards.....which would be a shame.....

Hi Trevor, as Jim says the rudder is a bit small I increased the size of both rudder and elevator on my Ben Buckle version and sheeted in to the back of the cabin. The wing retaining area was also strenghtened as per Steves comments. She flies well on an sc15

lees mini super at field.jpg

Regards Lee

Edited By Lee Damms on 01/03/2013 10:35:42

No Steve you're not too cautious I had to add stengthening after a few flights. In fact the cabin now has a thin ply sub structure and a plate up at the top. She used to skate around that much on take off I started doing mainly hand lauches, the small wheels did'nt help on our field.

Regards Lee