TopFlite P51(Hurry Home Honey)

harley1

Gentlemen ill keep this as short as possible.
Having met a club member at our field last Sunday for his first flight of the above mentioned plane which im afraid to say lasted less than 30 seconds.My question is this,the instructions clearly state that the c of g should be 143mm back from the face of the wing where it butts to the fuzz or in english 5" 7/8".
With a root cord of 400mm.This seems too far back,needless to say as we all know a tail heavy plane normally only has one flight,as this one did.
Would anyone care to comment,are the instructions correct?.
I do have a short video of the flight.
All flying surfaces were correct in there functions and throws were as instructed.
On a good note its a superb kit to look at (before the flight)
Has anyone flown one of these,any help or comments would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Edited By harley1 on 13/10/2009 23:56:04

Advert

Hi, no it did'nt stall,it did fly but uncontrolably, level flight appeared impossible.My first words to him was "thats tail heavy" as he wrestled it around the sky.Based on your calculations and other comments from another forum everyone seems to be of the same opinion regarding the c of g.
I believe that Ripmax are the importers of TopFlite he will be taking it up with them this week, but i doubt if he'll get any help.Unfortunately the fuzz is unrepairable.

There are two of these models in our club both fly very well but one required the battery placed to the rear of the wing to achieve a slightly nose heavy balance,  (same engine in both) the only problem with both of them is that the undercarrige is complete rubbish and breaks on every flight. If he bought it off a model shop it would be worth getting them to follow it up as I had a problem with a Great Planes model and Ripmax were less then helpful but the model shop got it sorted for me.

Yakmad,thanks for your reply,at some point i would be interested to know if the aircraft in your club were set up as per instructions ie c of g 143mm.
What engine they use,the crashed one used a OS 91 with the battery as you say to the rear part of the tray towards the rear half of the wing.I'm hoping i might be able to upload the video to UTUBE if i can find the time.