48 inch span Nijhuis Typhoon. Yes, 48 inch.

Mike K 3

The material as shown so far is a combination of Dow foam construction insulation underlayments.  The fuselage profile and the wings are made of Bluecor fan fold which is approximately 5mm thick and is meant to be applied to a building under the siding material.  I comes in fan-folded bundles measuring 4 feet by 50 feet.  I paid $37 for the bundle which is about $1.50USD per sheet.  The Tiffe here will take under two sheets.  The thicker material is also a Dow foam but it is approx 1/2" thick.  The stringer is a hard balsa of 3mmx5mm.  The wing spar will probably be a laminate of balsa and foam.  I'll skin the fuselage in the 5mm fff but I'd rather be using 2mm Depron.  I just happen not to have any on hand right now!  I used the last of my Depron supply sheeting the wing on my Ben Buckle Fokker DVIII/EV. 

Posted by Bruce Richards on 18/10/2009 17:34:41:
I could make a lot of models from a pack of that stuff but where would I keep it?
 That is a consideration.  My home is little more than a cottage to which we added a second level so space is tight.

I did a little more work on the Tiffie last night.  I added a layer of 2mm Depron to either side of the fff fin as lightweight reinforcement. The fff is pretty flexible so the stab and elevator will need something as well. 

Now that I've sorted out my hotwire issue (I burned up my transformer for wire heating) I may hot wire cut the wing.  I have an old AstroFlight nicad charger laying about so I connected to a battery and clipped the "hot" end to my stainless wire and by adjusting the amps I can adjust the wire temp.  Easy work.

A friend has offered me two sheets of 2mm Depron going spare.  he has no use for them but I do so the Typhoon will have a 2mm skin after all.  I plan to add 3 more balsa stringers per side to stiffen the skin.  I'm also planning to cover the parts in tissue and WBPU.  I've read about builders doing it but have never done it myself.  I may practice on some scrap first.

Mike

I spent about 30 minutes on the Typhoon this evening.  Did a rough shaping of the cowl which was hotwire cut using a former and profile template on a laminated white foam block.  Sanded to shape in a few minutes.  Not perfect by any means but not bad for a first attempt.

• 2 weeks later...
Bruce--  Here you go:
 Sure.  It only took 30-40 minutes to make.  I laminated two white foam blocks to give the width and height necessary.  Cut templates in cardboard of the profile and a 3 inch circle.  Cut a 1/4 inch hole dead center of the 3 inch disc and then pinned the disc to the foam.  Shoved a sharpened 1/4 inch dowel through the hole and into the foam about 2 inches.  Put a drop of CA glue on the dowel to template joint then let it dry a bit.  Did a bit of rough shaping the foam to get a roughly triangular shape then chucked the stick in a hand drill and used it as a foam lathe.  Used a wood rasp and medium sand paper to get the shape.  When I had the desired shape I slathered on a nice coat of light weight spackle.  Let it dry outside while picking up the fallen leaves and then re-chucked it and sanded again with medium then super-fine sand paper.  It'll get a hard shell coating of epoxy and then I'll use it to make the patterns for vacuforming.

Kelvin--  I used to fly 1:1 sailplanes before house and children absorbed most of the spare $$ (what little there is these days!!).  I really miss it.  I always had a dream of going back to it and buying a share in a Discus.

Mike

I'm also planning to cover the parts in tissue and WBPU.  I've read about builders doing it but have never done it myself.  I may practice on some scrap first.

Brown paper and PVA also works, and adds a lot of stiffness to parts. However, never cover just one side of a part - it goes all curved as it dries!!!
Other than that, I'm watching, because I have the Nijhuis Hurricane in mind for full-size (62") foam treatment. and you have already given me a couple of ideas on a different way of doing some of the bits.
Thanks,
Toni
http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=24182

• 6 months later...
Here is the wing template glued to stiff poster board.

One side drawn out with rib positions marked.

Note the markings to the top most lines which are the top trailing edge which tell not to cut to line.  Has to be slightly long to account for the curvature of the ribs.

This is a mocked up section of wing from scrap to test fit.

From the inside.

Fits nice and snug.

Take note of the short section of 10mmx10mm wood bonded in place at the top od the fuselage central former.  There's an eyelet screwed in place at Tony's given center of gravity.  With some reinforcement to the surrounding area I should be able to hang the finished plane from the eyelet and balance the model both longitudinally and laterally.

As soon as it stops raining I'll raise my flag and leave it flying through Monday night in honor of those that gave us our freedoms for this is our Memorial Day weekend.  When is Rememberance Day in the UK?  I should get a Union Jack to fly on that day.  It was the Brits that liberated my family in the Med.

Mike