Some Valuable Lessons Learnt So Far

The Renovation of my 80's slope soarer continues....
I've been learning some valuable lessons as balsa work is all new to me.
1. Wish i'd bought a ARTF kit. I would be flying now!
2. But then I would have missed out on building enjoyment and experience.
3. A build project would be much more enjoyable if I had a flying model - would'nt feel so rushed to get the job done!
4. Plan plan plan! I just winged my designs for new bits. I've come up against some problems I've had to work around for practical and asthetic reasons. now I know the value of proper pre thought designs and experience.
5. Finishing balsa is harder than metal or fiberglass....
6. I'd think twice about tissuing again as a layer to go under paint. Whilst I did a fairly good job (for a first attempt!) I had always planned it to be sprayed. It's much harder to use as a base coat as it's so fragile. Next time I'd make the tissue sheets a feature, do it very neatly and not spray over.
7.I've not got round to using plastic shrink film yet but the benefits of it are calling to me!
8. Bonded joints are stronger than the wood! Now I know this future designs need not be so over engineered!

If this sloper flies like a piano forte then at least i've learnt my lesson! Im getting bored now as I just want to fly the thing. Spend too much moolah on overpriced construction materials though to stop now!

Im already planning next project. Probably a Foss Phase 6 Sport. Oh damn that needs building completely except for wings!
Must have caught a modeling bug somewhere.....

Advert

Well done Mike.

Some flyers have an arrangement where they'll always have an ARTF ready to go at any time ( a hack if you will) but have a longer term project on the workbench. Given that most ARTF's can be put together within a few weeks it makes sence.

Trouble is I always seem to do my long terms builds in the summer, and pop ARTF's together in winter - seem to have it the wrong way round.

David.