DX7 buddy box - traine/slave combo

Richard Carpenter

Hi all,

This is probably (definitely) a bit of a newbie question, and as such I had thought of posting it in the beginners section, but decided it belonged here instead.

I've been flying for a little while now and recently decided I want to go down the club route so I can get my A cert . I'm using a Spektrum DX7 and, after chatting with my club's instructor, need to get a slave tx to use with a buddy lead. I've read through the threads re. compatability issues with the DX6i, but can somebody post a difinitive list of tx's that are compatible? I'm looking to buy something second-hand.

Thanks,

Rich

Advert

Thanks Phil. I was aware the DX5 is about as basic as it gets, but that should be ok for a highwing trainer shouldn't it?

My first thought was the DX6i, but I'm not sure about buying something I'm hopefully going to grow out of pretty quickly. I don't really know how the 'A' cert process works. I guess it varies, but how much will my instructor want to use a buddy box?

Thanks for the advice - apologies if this should be in the beginners section!

Hi Tim,

I'm already using a DX7 as my main Tx. This will just be for use with the Seagul Boomerang during lessons with my instructor.

I read your thread about the cheapest place to buy a DX6i and was really hopeful when I saw you'd found one for £45. I was then gutted to find out that due to exchange rates/imports/recession etc., the price had nearly doubled

Posted by Phil Wood - Moderator on 28/10/2009 14:49:55:
Don't forget that the TX you use as a slave will have to have its own settings.
e.g. ......if the model requires expo, you won't get this on the DX5.

Polyphilla.

Phil, I think I'm right in saying that as Richard is using a DX7 as master, then if he selects "P-Link" (Pilot-Link) as the mode for the master, then only the primary stick controls will be passed to the slave and the dual rate, expo etc will be controlled from the master.
I think you will still need to set up the trims on the slave, but that should be all.

However if you use a DX5 as master, then indeed you would need to set the slave settings as well, as the DX5 doesn't have "P-Link".

So Richard, if you keep your DX7 as master you shouldn't have any problems

Steve

Heh, was just about to post the same thing as Steve - use P-link on the DX7 as the master, and you can use a DX5e as slave just fine even with complicated programming on the master. It just basically puts an extra set of stick inputs into the DX7, which means that everything is set up on the master.

Posted by David E on 28/10/2009 19:36:44:
Heh, was just about to post the same thing as Steve - use P-link on the DX7 as the master, and you can use a DX5e as slave just fine even with complicated programming on the master. It just basically puts an extra set of stick inputs into the DX7, which means that everything is set up on the master.

Great minds think alike David

Steve

• 9 years later...