elevator joiner

fly boy3

Hi all,where my elevator joiner fits to one side of elevator on my acro wot,the fit into the wood has enlarged due to wear and is very sloppy.  This results in one half of elevator hanging about 5 mm lower than the other .Not good! any tips to help, as I don't fancy removing the whole thing to get at it, but I may have to .  Cheers flyboy3

Advert

Hmmm, I'm not sure I'd be happy about relying on micro balloons - basically, a lightweight filler - to join up two halves of a primary control surface.

The packing with wood and epoxy is good advice. That would be my first choice.

If you end up having to remove the ele consider joining with a hardwood piece let into both halves, rather than with wire. Needs a slightly larger hole in the rudder, but if you bind the joiner to the balsa- either with doped nylon, or stitching with glue rubbed in - I guarantee the end result will outlast the model

Hi all,thanks a lot to all you guys out there who helped in my elevator problem.  A lot of interesting advice that I can act on. This was no wind up Mr Penfold,but an attempt to gain some knowledge that I know is out there.  In my club safety takes priority, and it starts with the integrity of the airframe.Thanks again flyboy3.