3mm collet or folding spinner

I have just converted an old free flight design from a 480 nicad powered flop, into a Brushless, lipo powered, as yet to be determined.

My present problem is that I ahve a number of J Perkins folding propellers, which I have used with 480 motors, these are 3.2 mm collets. They will not clamp a 3mm shaft.

I have tried to obtain a suitable collet or propeller assembly (folder) in the UK, to-date with no sucess (I have a 3mm adapter for conventional prop).

Does any one know a source, preferably a 40mm spinner.

Regards

Erfolg

Advert

Robotbirds do several;

http://robotbirds.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=42_120

Otherwise you'll probably have to use the 3mm adaptor for conventional props with a separate folding-prop bracket, either from another folding prop set or one like this;

http://www.ripmax.com/item.asp?itemid=E-LPFH3&ItemsPerPage=100&Category=120

To get one of these you'll have to log off (!) Leave the house (!!!) and walk/drive to your nearest modelshop. This may be some distance away. In the modelshop you will find some of the stuff that's sold on the web, only you can touch it (cool!) along with, usually, an avuncular old chap who will be able to order the parts for you from Ripmax.

If this seems daunting, get someone over the age of 60 to accompany you, or someone that smells of diesel fuel ;o)

(if you don't know what diesel fuel is, may the lord have mercy on your lipos).

AlistairT ;o)

Thanks Alistair

I have an APC hub with 9*5 blades.

I am going to try (flying, I have fitted) it, the main problem with these hubs is:-

a) Large bore central bore, for most applications you have to sleeve the hub,shaft. Providing potential for eccentric run out.
b) The blades have stubs moulded onto them, where as most hobs are made to accept retaining bolts.
c) Most model shops do not seem to stock APC folders.

I have tried the local model shops (Woodheys, Steve Webb) for 3mm system or collet, neither could help. No problem with 3.2, which I have 4.

I will see how this works out.

Regards

Erfolg

Alistair

A further thought, the collet that is part of my conventional (3mm) prop driver, is significant different to the Perkins and Graupner/Aeronauht collets. It is of smaller maximum dia. Because of this, pulls through more, not clamping and secondly appears to be a slightly steeper taper.

So I guess there is little standardisation from one manufacturer to the next.

Regards

Erfolg