Wot 4 ARTF maidened today

winchweight

Powered by an SC53 2 stroke, it took off into the 10kts of wind in about 10m. I didn't need to give it a single click of trim and it has no extra weight added fror balance. It rolls beautifully axially and the loops etc are huge!

One wing bolt sheared off, but that made no difference. It slowed up nicely into wind for landing, but I couldn't get it to stick to the tarmac at all, instead bouncing no matter how smoothly, slowly or shallowly I landed. Not to worry it's docile in the bounce too.

One surprise though. I had the two aileron servos setup as flaperons. When I dropped them halfway it dipped it's nose a little but was otherwise unremarkable, but when I went full flap (about 40 degrees), it immediately dropped a wing and began a slow roll towards it.  Needless to say the flaps came up smartly and I vowed never to touch them again.!

Overall I am very pleased with this model and it's compact size and STOL capability might see it in the back of the Jag (even the wing fits across the boot)going out and about with me to work

Advert

Shaun, glad the Wot4 went well...a lovely plane in all guises!

ref the wing drop with full flap...a basic stall with yaw I'm afraid! By dropping the flaps you exceeded the stalling alpha, and being a model you wouldn't know it but you had yaw on. the only thing the poor model can do then is tip stall!  If you want to continue playing with this (and you should!), take the model up high, put the nose down (throttle off) and deploy full flap again. Now see what it does and gently try raising the nose till you reach the stall.  Learn that angle and go no futher!  Good for getting in over trees! (and having a laugh generally).  You might find it never works properly and what you really have is brakes!

Enjoy.

David (with a vested interest as I have a Wot4 ARTF in a box under the bench for my new years build!)

Shaun, ref the stall speed...recall that stall is a function of alpha (angle of attack), and not of speed!  You dropped big barn door flapperons!  But i agree, sometime these things do catch us out, even in full sized ones! 

There's a well documented case of an A320 flying for excel germany where their alpha vane froze and they were totally caught out by it. Sadly it ended badly for them, but they were too low at the entry anyway, too low I mean for the maneouver at all, let alone with frozen alpha vanes - of which they were ignorant .

D