Dave Boddington Bi-Stormer

cymaz

Just bought the above plane and would like some info. What I'm looking for is what wind conditions would suit, throw values for all surfaces. I have put an ASP .61 FS in and this will suit I hope.

Any comments would be great........

Couldn't post pictures I'm affraid, couldn't get it to work. I'm I thick or something

Edited By Peter Smedley on 13/12/2009 20:42:59

Edited By Peter Smedley on 13/12/2009 21:05:07

Edited By Peter Smedley on 13/12/2009 21:06:09

Advert

mine had ailerons on bottom wing only and between  that and the moderately powered merco,  rolls were not smooth and needed nose down to build up speed  to carry thru.  loops ditto

nice plane to see in the air - enjoy it

john

Peter,
I'm building the smaller Bi-Stomer 60 (58 inch span.)
I'm not sure if the control throws are the same as the 72inch version but,i'll check for  you later today.
There is a link on D B Sport & Scale website of the 72inch version flying,it looks a relaxing aeroplane to fly-my son say's boring!!
Just need to cover mine.

Julian

Only just the top of the upper wing to cover. The C of G as per DBSport & Scale web page 5 1/4" back from L.E. upper wing. Should be up and away on Saturday. Will let you know how we got on.

I am suprised there is not more on the BiStormer. Very little info on RCUniverse and nothing of value. Is this model type a bit of an English style I wonder.

A nice looking model Peter,it's given me an incentive to complete mine although i'm undecided on what colour sceme to use. 
I checked my plan and construction notes but couldn't find any recommendations for the control surface movements.
I haven't found much on the Bi-Stormer either although i believe they were popular,along with David Boddingtons Barnstormer 35+ years ago.
Keep us posted on its maiden flight.

makes me want to repair mine which is languishing in a corner of the w'shop following an extra low pass which creamed the U/C off and split the bottom wing.

trouble is - too many kits/plans waiting to be built

decisions decisions and not enough time

Posted by julian on 16/12/2009 21:25:16:
A nice looking model Peter,it's given me an incentive to complete mine although i'm undecided on what colour sceme to use. 
I checked my plan and construction notes but couldn't find any recommendations for the control surface movements.
I haven't found much on the Bi-Stormer either although i believe they were popular,along with David Boddingtons Barnstormer 35+ years ago.
Keep us posted on its maiden flight.

The colour scheme that I chose was off the web showing a Tiger Moth in Silver and Red. The Solatex is quite striking in real life and the contrast should make seeing it in the air a little easier.

Flew the Bi-Stormer on Sat 19 Dec. Went really well, floats on a treat. The ASP 61FS pulls well. The throws are just right, Ailerons are 10mm up and 5mm  down ( differential is good ), C of G is very good at 5 1/4" back from L.E. top wing, rudder 25mm each way, elevator 15mm up and down. Mixed some rudder with the aileron to help turn corners about 30 - 40 %. I flew it with no expo................See how you all get on. Hope these initial values are of some use..

The blue Bi-Stormer is a club mates that was built about 30 years ago

Hi Peter,
I'll use the throws that you have and adjust where necessary.I'm pleased that it all went well.As i stated in my earlier post,i'm building the smaller 58 inch version so will start with a SC 52 four stroke and see how it goes,maybe even electric!!
It's a great model to build,if you enjoy building which i do.
I'm hoping to finish mine during the Christmas break,i'll keep you all posted.
I was looking at a plan of a 38 inch span free flight Barnstormer yesterday.Looks just right for a small outrunner and micro r/c,or maybe conversion to a Bi-stormer.................off to the shed now

Hi,
It looks a nice build, and they fly really nicely.
I have a Bi Stormer 72 plan pack to build. This will be the 2nd one. The first was built in 1979 when at RAF Wittering. It weighed 7 1/2 Lbs dry, and powered by a Moki .61 had working rigging as a lot of wood was removed from the wings and fuselage to lighten the  structure as much as possible. This one waswith doped nylon covering and was modified to have ailerons on the lower wing also. Needed a lot of co-ordinated rudder to aerobat decently.

Adrian

n

Hi All
Some of the club members and I went flying Boxing Day. Took the BiStormer and flew it most of the day. It really doen't like cross wind landings!!

Still the ASP worked flawlessly and the wind wa in our favour most of the day. Added more rudder throw and more rudder-to-aileron mix. It is a real peach to take off and land. Weather is looking OK for Monday so I might get my Seagull Dual Ace out for a spin.

More pics to follow.....................................