OS FS 61 Carb Settings

Greg Chiswell

I have just brought this engine out of retirement. It's never flown but was run last about 15 years ago.

Took off the back, after a wipe off of old 'castor oil cake' the internals looked like new.

Stripped the carb and boiled it in Audi G12 Antifreeze and put together looked like new.

Fitted 12x6 prop, lighted oiled all the internal bearings, rockers etc. 5% Nitro 18% synth fuel off it went. Backfired, prop almost taking off my eye!

Any one know what the correct settings are for the carb before i take out my eyes?!

Edited By Greg Chiswell on 15/12/2009 14:32:12

Advert

It sounds like you are too lean. I would be inclined to open the main needle 3-4 turns from fully shut . Then close the throttle, screw in the slow until you feel resistance then open it one and a half turns. Don't force it shut! With these settings in my experience most engines will run at mid-revs.

Having got the engine to run and allowed time for it to warm up, try opening the throttle fully. If it cuts it's too lean, open the main needle until it runs smoothly. If it continues to run unevenly with lots of smoke and misfiring, try screwing the main needle in until the engine runs smoothly.

Having got the top end sorted close the throttle and adjust the low speed needle using the same principals.