FlyCamOne review Part 1 of 3

The “FlyCamOne” self contained onboard video camera. PART 1

Whilst browsing the “Robotbirds” electric flight website last week, I happened upon a promotion offer for this little gadget, and at a shade under £35 thought it had to be worth a try :)
Delivery was quick - as usual from these suppliers, ( other retailers also stock the device - West London Models being one ) and I eagerly unpacked my box and found the FlyCamOne nestling between the LiPos , connectors, and other assorted fruits within my order. Quickly hiding the contents from my accountant ( wifey ) I smuggled the cam into the workshop for a play……
In the box ? – well not much really, but all you need :-)
The camera itself, well packed in a hard plastic blister pack, together with a short USB extension lead, a simple and clear ENGLISH manual, a webcam driver disk and a small “cradle with a shiny mirror on it - more on this later.....
The device itself is completely self contained, and has a USB plug at one end, together with a slot for an optional ( but recommended ) memory card of either MMC or SD type chip. Either are available these days for a few pounds, I elected to get a MMC 1 gigabyte card at a cost of £8 from another online supplier. In use, the camera is first charged by simply plugging into a USB port on your computer / laptop, and an indicator lamp glows red to show charging is taking place. After a short while, the lamp extinguishes to indicate that it is ready for use. Holding one of the 4 silver buttons on the device switches from auto standby into “ON” mode. The remaining 3 buttons then activate one of the following functions
1) A Still photograph
2) Audio recorder
3) Video and Audio recorder.
There is a small crude foldaway viewfinder which does help to get the thing pointed in generally the right direction, and a built in microphone gives surprisingly good audio results.
The tiny wide angle lens is at the front corner face, and in use, simply “point and shoot”.
Stills and audio, and a short clip of video can be stored straight into the cameras built-in 6 M/B
Memory chip, but for longer videos ( up to approx 1.5 hours on a 1 gigabyte version) get a card as discussed earlier. Software is included ( I elected not to bother with this function ) to enable the device to be used as a webcam too!
In use on your airplane, firstly decide whether you want a “straight down” aerial view, or a “from the cockpit” ahead view. The former requires you to simply secure the device UNDERNEATH your plane, with the supplied hook and loop fastening strip. To get the “ahead view” ( which I think is way better ) you slip the camera into the supplied “mirror cradle” – this then converts the image view, but the downside is the image is “reversed” left with right…. IYSWIM.
Still, that aside, it is still my favoured MO.
I firstly tried it out on an electric powered “supafly” holy cow delta wing affair. Unfortunately, this has no undercarriage, relying instead on a hand launch, and simple belly flop landing – not a good idea for delicate camera devices me thinks ! So….I simply strapped it onto the top instead, and flew inverted for most of the flight.

• 4 months later...
Advert

I saw a WiFi camera advertised when looking for an esky Heli, but could not get anyone in 'contacts' so ignored it. Does anyone know if this exists, and would it be possible to put one in the nose of a slow flying glider, and fly the glider while looking at were I am going on my laptop. Of course I would be on a buddy box with someone to take over, in an emergency.

Peter