ULTRAFLY CESSNA 140

In your January Top Letter column there was a letter "LOOKING FOR TROUBLE" and it suggested that if problems are found in a build, it would be good to let others know.   I am currently building an Ultrafly Cessna 140 and the control horns supplied are designed to be pushed into the wood of the wing, rudder and elevator.   These seem to me an extreme weak point and I change them for more sturdy type with a plastic plate on the other side to the horn and bolts with nyloc nuts to hold them on.   However, for the wing/elevator, the depth of the elevator is such that you cannot buy standard bolts that are long enough to go through so I bought some 2mm threaded studding (6 inches long) and 2mm nyloc nuts so that I can crop off the required length.
PS it is better to fit the nuts on the entire length at one end after tightening up on the horn and then crop off with shears so that the compression on the studding will act as an additional safety feature to stop the nuts coming off.

Advert