ARTF 40 size Bi-plane

Ted Ward1

I am interested in building a 40 size bi-plane for my next project and I am interested in the Phoenix tiger moth 40.  A - because its in my affordable price range and B - I have a .46 2 stroke free.
Has anyone had experience assembling this plane, as the RCM&E review of this model in last years August issue highlighted particular lack of info on the wing strut assembly. Also can the wings be removed easily for transportation on this model, as I only have a small car.
And finally, can any one recommend a 40 size bipe to utilise my free sc .46 engine. Failing all else I may have to plump for one of the small WW1 scale electric bipes. (prefer ARTFs)
Please can anyone help.  

Advert

Thanks for the suggestions Chris, out of the two I think I prefer the Kyosho Pitts Special, it really looks a neat piece of kit and at a reasonable price
 It also has had some good reviews.
Chris, all my engines are Super Custom, three .46s and one .25 and they dont give me any problems at all,easy to start and still good compression, although I find that they run better on a 10% nitro mix, particularly in winter.
Please keep the ideas coming,thanks again Chris. 

Edward

I picked up a very tasty little Graupner Ultimate from Motors & Rotors at the Nationals for £99.00. Don't know if you could still get one for this price but the quality, as you would expect from Graupner, is A1. Everything apart from Engine and radio is included including an ali spinner and good quality fittings. Dave Wilshere told me that he has an electrified version and it flies great. If he says it's good, that's good enough for me!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Sorry I'm a little late entering this thread. I built the Pheonix Tiger Moth last year. It looks very good when finished and flys a treat, I have a SC 52 4stroke in mine. There certainly is an issue with info re wing struts, in fact you will see I have a couple of posts on the forum regarding this. However I sorted it in the end. It is a bit of a fiddle getting the wings on and off with the bracing wires. If you send me a PM with you mail address I will send some pics. I'd put them on here if I knew how to do it! If you want any more info on it let me know and I will help if I can, but the way I've been flying lately I've a mind to give up and take up something less expensive, knitting perhaps.

Having now looked at the correct part of the forum I have uploaded a couple of pics of the Phoenix Tiger Moth. The sercret to the struts is making sure they are the right way up, ie. flats at the top rounded end to the bottom. The position of the fixing brakets on the wings for the struts is a bit of trial and error. If you need any help I can give you the dims. from mine to give you a starting point. IMHO if you want a good plane for your 46 forget the bipe and put it in a WOT 4, you'll get a lot more flying out of it. The Tiger Moth is for a very calm day!

Edited By andrew wise 2 on 22/01/2010 18:35:28

Hi

Thanks Andrew for giving me your thoughts and sharing your experience of the Phoenix Tiger Moth. The photo’s show your model off a treat, looks great.

I started model flying 3 years ago, and passed my A last year, but quickly found that my little C1 Citroen is too small for my hobby and unfortunately I can’t afford a new car.

So due to this and the fact of the time it would take me to remove the wings and rigging I have decided to save up my pennies for  a E-flite PT17 Stearman, it has a 44 inch WS, and the model looks great, but is expensive.

What clinched it for me was the novel idea of a wing jig that comes with the kit to enable me to remove and attach the wings quickly

Thanks again Andrew for your input and all the others who helped me with their thoughts and ideas. The suggestions did help this 67 year old comparative newcomer to the hobby.

> >

Thanks Again All

> >

Ted

I have been flying just 2 years and like you well past bus pass age..! How many others have taken up the hobby as a new challenge in retirement? Perhaps we should start a new thread a see how people have found this new, and far from easy challenge. I found it difficult not being from the computer game age.

Edited By andrew wise 2 on 24/01/2010 12:25:03

Hi Andrew

I agree with you Andrew, regarding a new thread of people taking up the hobby in retirement, although I suspect there is quite a lot of us.

There are a few retired members in my club, I guess it’s because we have more time in retirement to enjoy it. It is a real pleasure for myself in the summer (if we get one) to go to our flying field during the week and just relax,

The reason I have set my heart on a bi-plane is because our events secretary as set aside a weekend as a bi-plane event day, I do agree though, that the Wot 4 is a good and popular model, especially now we have an ARTF version.

> >

Ted