"Microsoft" scam

Peter Miller

There is a scam going round. You get a phone call supposedly from Microsoft telling you that your computer is running slow or that you may have a problem. I have had a couple where the person's English was so poor that it was unintelligible.

I got one last night that spoke better English.

He asked if I had any problems and I said no. He suggested that I check one or two things and sure enough on a table of some sort there were "error" messages. I strung him along playing the worried computer owner.

Shock, Horror! "Don't touch them, don't do anything with them" The kind gentleman then said he could fix them and said I should click on Start and then Run.

I knew that this was getting ready to hand control over to the kind man so at that point I said.

"You must think I am stupid. I know this scam you thieving (Insert insult of your choice)" and I hung up.

I hope I made his evening!

Edited By Peter Miller on 06/02/2010 20:07:50

Advert

There was a lady who was having trouble with her computer so she rang the helpline. The gentleman on the phone said." First of all I want you to open Windows". the line went quiet for five minutes. When she came back she said "Should I open the French Windows in the lounge as well"

Then there’s the tale of the person who phoned the help desk because he was “Having trouble with ‘Word’”.

The guy on the help desk took him through the diagnostic procedures one by one, but nothing he suggested made any difference, ‘Word’ still didn’t work.

As a final measure he told the customer to look behind his desk and make sure the power plug was still in the wall.

“Can’t do that,” replied the customer ,“ It’s too dark. There’s a power cut on!”

“OK, here’s what you do.” said the chap on the helpdesk. “Parcel the computer back up in its’ original packing, take it back to where you bought it and tell them that you are too (expletive deleted) stupid to be allowed to own a computer!”

He lost his job.