aluminium tape covering

drifter

hi all i put a post up on rcmf asking this. Hi all i've just ordered a artf b17 flying fortress from general hobby in the states (link) http://www.generalhobby.com/flying-fortress-bomber-electric-airplane-p-72.html?osCsid=7e5cd49a9f9ca95ba15ecee8fe0409ec  just waiting on it turning up Grin  Grin  Grin its my first big balsa and ply plane and i've only got just under a years flying experience'knowledge. i'm going to try and scale it up a bit with additional windows'panel lines'rivets etc as per the real one and want to cover it with aluminium tape i've read on another forum that the aluminium weighs 5.5 grams per sq yard but im not sure what the wing loading could take in weight i know the auw is 4.5lbs but would it hold an extra 2-2.5lbs on the wing if i went to far with detailing

i got a reply back saying not to bother because i'll lose the plane in flight as the signal will be lost due to the covering shielding the signal and also the person doesnt recommend using silver coating as for signal loss.

im using a spektrum dx6i with ar6200 rx 2.4ghz what would your thoughts be on this matter i really would  to cover my model to be like this (link) http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=830738 thanks in advance LES

Advert

Well if it was me I would simply arrange ( as I do an almost all of my models irrespective of their construction ) to get the tiny 1" of  "live aerial" to prtrude from the fuselage - should be easy enouggh and inconspicuos on a large B17!
The excellent ( despite the doubters ) AR500 with aerial extension would be fine, or if you still have worries....simply use one of the purpose designed C/F glider style receivers.

Use the AR6250 receiver - this one is specially built for fuselages having a "screening" surface like carbon reinforced plastic (or metal as in your case). The 2 antennas have a 5 cm extension and the metallic looking part after the extension has to be outside the fuselage. They can used in a position where the real antennas were on the prototype - if that is possible.
By the way  - the AR 6250 is the glider stile receiver Timob mentiones above.
VA

Drifter, wing loading at the manufacturer's quoted AUW of 4.5lb is almost 19oz per sq foot.

If you add your "extra 2-2.5lbs" you're then looking at 27.3 oz/sq ft (for 6.5lb) or 29.4oz/sq ft (at 7lb).

Plus, if you then find you need to uprate in other areas to cope with the above weight increase - bigger flight batteries, e.g. - then its going to be heavier still and these figures are going to deteriorate even further

Hi

Still cant get my head around it. If say the 2-2.5 lb is equivalent to approx 1100 grams

1100 divided by 5.5 grams is approx  182  sq yds or 1638 sq feet of tape  or for arguments sake - if you used only half that - that still would be 91 sq yds! thats alot of aluminium tape.  the other detail must be very heavy or the model is huge!

just looked at the link.  Nice model ! - I would have thought you would have only needed about  3 to 4 sq yds of alumium at the most -  22 grams - so where would the kilo + of weight come from

Al

Edited By Alan B on 11/02/2010 16:19:55

Ok

I personally would try to keep it light.  Even with a bigger battery and a scale up. I think you could probably do it with only a extra  300 - 400 grams.

Well good luck with your build/project - it would be nice to see the end result in the future