Wot 4 vs Cougar 2000 vs Fusion

I hope someone is able to offer me their opinions. 

Although my main passion is building models for other people (I have scratch built many planes to a high standard now, up to 50cc 3D type models). 

I am looking for something to throw in the car and that can handle typical english weather. A 'hack' that can handle a bit of wind etc... I am looking for something to do my B test with, and have passed my A test some time ago.

I learnt to fly on a Wot 4, and remember this was very good, and tough!!

I wonder whether flying a very lightly loaded 'fun fly' type model, such as the Cougar 2000 or Evolution models fusion is counter productive? Since these planes are so light, and reluctant to stall, do you forget how to fly other models that will drop a wing etc... if you slow them down to much? I would like to continue improving my landing skills, but hear that these type of planes will just descent vertically if there is even a moderate wind?

I have also heard that becuase these type of planes do not like to stall, they are difficult to spin and perform other manouvres that require a stalled condition, snap rolls, 3D etc..?

Another option is the acromaster (multiplex), can someone who has flown one of these let me know if they can handle a moderate wind?

Thx

Advert

Well, as probably everyone knows , I'm a committed WOT4 man on these issues. Simply because it does the lot - it can be flown slow at high alpha, it can be bazzed about like a pattern ship. You can float it in to land or you can "fly it" right down to the ground. So gotta be a good bet.

I've never flown a Cougar 2000 but seen plenty of them. They seem a really good model. They are floaty, good at high alpha stuff. Very well behaved in the stall. But they will spin - I've seen it done - in spades! They roll well. The one criticsm I would make is that they seem to struggle a little bit in the wind. That big wing, and associated low wing loading, sometimes seems to me to make them a bit "zoomy" in a stiff blow. But as I say I've not flown one only watched them being flown - by some very good pilots though!

I don't have enough experience to really comment on the Fusion - not seen that many. The ones I have seen seem to be good models with excellent flight characteristics - similar to the Cougar.

Sorry can't help much except to say - you definatively won't be dissapointed with WOT4 (get a kit one not the ARTF!) and the Cougar looks good, should do the B, but might be a bit limiting in blowy conditions. Perhaps an experienced Cougar flyer could comment on that?

BEB 

Paul,

I had (until very recently when I sold it) a Wot4, and have a Mini Hype, which is a Fun fly. Although the hype is great fun to fly you do get into bad habbits as fun flys are so forgiving ! I found myself doing stuff that if tried with another model such as the Wot4, I would have ended up with a crash on my hands !

As for stalls etc, they do stall, they don't necessarily drop a wing though. They will mush downwards as though in an elevator. You can indeed almost land them vertically as you have mentioned. You can do spins etc if control throws & C/G are set up correctly. Indeed a friend of mine is constantly doing blenders with his Cougar 2000, something that ideally needs a full stall to enter into it correctly. A funfly with a fus like the Cougar will not knife edge as easily as say the Mini hype either due to side area of the fus.

Ultimately I think a fun fly will have a wider aerobatic envelope than a Wot4, but they are built light and as such will not handle arrivals, higher winds etc etc as well as the Wot4 would. Either of them should get you through your B cert though.

Ed