Wot 4 mk 3 - wing does not fit fuselage

I'm in the middle of building a Wot 4 mk 3, and have enjoyed the build so far. But now I found that the wing is not wide enough to fit the wing seating in the fuselage. What puzzles me is that there is nothing I could have done wrong - at least I think so! The wing seating profile in the fuselage is all pre-cut, and the wing is pre-built and all I did was to add the trailing edge with parts of the aileron stock.

Has anyone else seen the same thing while building this kit? How would you recommend to solve the issue? My instinct is to shorten the wing seating gap, as I feel reluctant to add more wood to the wing. The trailing edge needs to be trimmed to match the fuselage, and I estimate that after trimming there will be a gap of about 8 mm.

Would be glad to get some input.

/Leif

Advert

One solution would be to trim the wing trailing edge so that it is parallel to the rear of the seat and add a strip of balsa to fill the gap between wing and rear fuselage.

Alternatively add the strip to the trailing edge, make it the same as the fuselage width and use it to aid wing location when mating wing to fuselage on the field.

Malcolm

It's clicked, much of this clearance will disappear when you epoxy the wing joining bandage round the wing root joints, the glass bandage and epoxy usually end up at least 2 and sometimes 3 mm thick at the l/e and T/e, at one end, preferably the l/e the glass bandage will be doubled though some folk double it at the t/e to provide extra thickness for the wing retaining bolts.

Edited By John Gibbs on 17/02/2010 21:14:28

Leif,

I'm not sure about the bandage explanation. Your fuselage has the wing seat of a WOT4 Classic - which has a constant chord, parallel, wing which fits that fuselage perfectly. Your Mk 3 has the trailing edges tapered intowards the leading edge - but the fuselage isn't doing that. If I remember correctly back to when I biult mine I seem to think there were some "adapting" bits in the kit which converted it to a Mk3 - I didn't use them cos I was building a "Classic"!

Can you check through your kit to be sure there are no "extra bits" that solve this problem. If not, I would suggest that you drop Chris Foss an email through the company website - I'm sure he'd be happy to help.

BEB

Thanks BEB, I will check what's left of the wood parts this evening. But there is no mentioning of this in the instructions as far as I can recall. Also, the instructions says to cut the trailing edge parallel with the edge of the seating so there will be no tapering of the trailing edge when I have performed that step.

Anyway, as you say, maybe the best thing is to ask the designer himself.

/Leif

From what I can see your l/e looks very thin. Does it just look this way in the pictures or have you sanded it back a bit too much?

The last Wot4 I built had a gap between the t/e and the Fuselage and if i remember correctly I stuck a doubler to the bulk head at the l/e. If you feel that the front bulk head if deffinatly in the right position and the l/e is not too thin then finish the wing and make an infill piece on the fuselage between the t/e and the rear deck.

Just my view I have only built 2 Wot4s and re-built them many many times  

Just to add to the facts, here's two more pictures. I don't think I sanded too much on the LE, maybe just a millimeter or two thinner than before sanding started. And you can check the front bulk head as well, don't see how it could have been mounted any other way.

It will be a small issue to add some filling at the wing trailing edge, for sure not a big problem. I know this is part of the hobby, and I do enjoy solving small problems like this one! Just wanted to be sure I did not make a mistake at some point, as I was not expecting a quality kit like this one to have such issues.

/Leif

I've looked at your photos next to my WOT4. Your fuselage looks exactly the same as mine - but the plan form of your wings is completely different - mine are totally parallel and so butt-up exactly to the fuselage at the trailing edge.

I have to go out somewhere now - but if I can I'll photo mine later and post it so you can see what I mean.

BEB

hello leif...your construction look's 100%.....perfect...fill the 'gap' with some sheet...and away you go...no worries...........from experience---i would also line the tank bay with some glass cloth and resin-especially over the undercarriage plate..this will give you some added strength for the odd rough landing...

ken anderson..........

Edited By ken anderson. on 18/02/2010 19:41:03