minimag upgrade

ericrw

I am wanting to upgrade my minimag power train.   At present it is powered by the standard Multiplex Permax 480 motor.    I've bought an Overlander Thumper V2 Brushless Motor.    The Thumper is much smaller in diameter and fitting it to the Minimag as proved to be a problem !   Has anyone out there overcome this problem and if so I would appreciate some know how and if it's accompanied by a sketch or photo, that would be great ?   Thanks Eric.

Advert

Posted by eric loakes on 18/02/2010 10:10:47:
I am wanting to upgrade my minimag power train.   At present it is powered by the standard Multiplex Permax 480 motor.    I've bought an Overlander Thumper V2 Brushless Motor.    The Thumper is much smaller in diameter and fitting it to the Minimag as proved to be a problem !   Has anyone out there overcome this problem and if so I would appreciate some know how and if it's accompanied by a sketch or photo, that would be great ?   Thanks Eric.

It would be easier to get advice if you could post a pic of the existing firewall and mount so people can consider what could be done thanks.

You've heard the phrase:-  "If I were going there I wouldn't start from here" ??

As you know, the standard MiniMag motor mount is designed for front mounting, and the standard Permax motor is quite heavy.  The easiest btrushless upgrade is therefore to get a 400 size inrunner which is a straight swap fro the Permax and the only other issue is to switch to a brushless ESC.

I used a BM400 1800Kv with a 7x5 APC prop, but there are cheaper inrunner setups from such as GiantCod or 4-Max so you can go up to 2200Kv with a 6x4 prop.  If you use a lightweight outrunner, you will need extra lead up front to balance.  I have friends who have even had problems retro-fitting the Multiplex brushless power-train.

Edited By Romeo Whisky on 18/02/2010 12:52:17

Hi Eric,

The BM400 1800Kv was from Overlander, but I have not seen them on their web-site lately.  However I have seen them advertised quite recently at Gliders UK. 

It has been a great little motor and suits the Mini-Mag ideally with a 7x5 prop.

I have quite a large "air force" these days, but I still fly the MiniMag on nearly every trip to the field and take it on holiday with me every year.   It is just a great little model on this power setup.  If I ever bust it, I would have to replace it.

RW