Aerobatic manoeuvers

TonyS

Just pondering like one does......
When I was out playing with my Funjet today I noticed how it performs quite differently from my Panther when I'm  being 'heavy' on the sticks and effectively carrying out aerobatic manoeuvers.
The classic is the flick roll. To flick roll the Funjet (and please excuse me if I'm mis-describing here - I'm a complete newby to this stuff), In level flight I simply bang the ailerons hard left or right. If I do the same in the Panther F-9F (EDF) it tends to lose altitude and one way of "adjusting" is to make fast and tiny adjustments to the rudder as I'm rolling.
Questions -
Is this normal?
Is it because the Panther is 'relatively' less powerful?
Is  it because ones an EDF?
Where can I find some online advice on the use of the sticks in aerobatics? 
Thanks

Advert

Thanks Eric.
I guess you have to keep doing it until it becomes 2nd nature as the roll happens soooo fast you really don't have time to think, hmmmm, a bit of down elevator now then here we go....laft then right on the rudder....  It would be a pile of foam pieces by then i think 

might be a touch of differential would help the Panther - does it roll axially but lose height, or does it roll round one wing or other and go off course?  Is it as fast as the Funjet and does it roll as quickly?
My Funjet rolls quite fast which helps it keep on course, but will end up pointing at the ground after 3 or 4 non-stop rolls without a dab of down when inverted, any model will, it's just gravity doing it's job.

Tony,

one way to learn how to do an aileron roll is via the simulator. If you have one that allows you to slow things down - such as Pheonix - set it about 30% speed. This will give you the time get your rudder moves in at the quarters an the down in when inverted. Try to concentrate on "fading" one into the other. Progressively more top rudder until it peaks at the quarter point, start to take out the rudder whilst simultaineously deeding in the down elevator - aiming to reach the inverted with no rudder and peak down etc. Once you can do this repeatably and not loose any significant height, up the speed to say 50% and practice again. Keep increasing the speed until you can do the roll at full simulator speed. Don't make the roll itself too fast (like a twinkle) instead make it quite slow - if you're doing it right you should be able to roll very slowly with any plane which has decent rudder authority. Then try it on a model - at least two mistakes high!

Its a method that works well for me

BEB

Hi Chaps,
Bob, it rolls axially and I've never noticed it going off course. It's nowhere near as fast as the Funjet. As you say gravity doing what it does best probably...
BEB, I'll have a go on Phoenix - brilliant idea. Obviously I don't have a rudder on either the Panther or the Funjet but down elevator on the inverted section should be possible.
As I'm self-taught (so far) I sort of tend to watch what others are doing then test it out. "Two mistakes high" was something that I learnt quite quickly (albeit expensively  

Right - might just get in a quick fly before picking mum up for mother's day lunch 

a flick roll is something different tony and your funjet will prob not do it if the roll rate is slower then you will need a dab of down elevator during the inverted stage so as not to loose height, if the roll rate is really slow then you can use rudder as well to smooth out the roll even further, if you slow the roll down on your funjet you will find that you need down elevator on that as well