Electric Black Horse Speed Air 40

Reno Racer

I couldn't find much info in the usual Internet RC forums on a electric conversion of the BH Speed Air 40. George from 4-Max, kindly provided the recommended set up; I would have overpowered it! This set up is also now on his website.

I decided to electrify my Black Horse Speed Air 40; the details can be used for this and the Travel Air, both are very similar.

Pictures are in my new Album 'Black Horse Speed Air 40 Conversion'

With a PPO 3548-900 and JFX 12x6 prop on a 60A OPTO ESC and 4S 3300mah 30C lipo, I get the following readings

1/4 Throttle - 26W, 1.6A
1/2 Throttle - 185W, 11A
3/4 Throttle -  400W, 26A
Full Throttle - 606W, 40A

So a quite an Amp friendly economical setup. The aircraft RTF is just shy of 5lbs, so plenty of oomph for aerobatics at 3/4 to full throttle and gentle flying (it is after all a low wing trainer) on 1/2 throttle. 

You will note, I have recovered and slightly modified the Speed Air, got rid of that awful sticky Far Eastern covering scheme and recovered in yellow, with splat decals, using Matt Chapman's CAP as a basis for the theme. I think it looks rather good and much better than original. I also enlarged the rudder and re-glued all joints and added a hatch for Lipo changes. I also modified the pilot's office and added a proper (non cartoon style) pilot. 

I have yet to refit the ailerons, rudder and elevators, but otherwise she's ready to go.

Edited By Ackers on 17/03/2010 10:56:12

Advert

Looks good Ackers, much better than the factory covering.
120W /Lb will be good for all but big vertical climbs & suchlike, and you
can always increase the prop size or pitch for a tad more power if you want
later on.
Thats just one of the good things about electric power - you can swap
around with props to change flight performance to your wishes.
Good luck!

Cheers
Richard

I just ordered them from rcgraphics, which I believe is now part of PH school of Flying near Swindon. You can order 'splats' in a number of sizes and colours, so I just went to town. They also do good sponsor stickers; DA, Jetcat, etc. Good for aerobatic jobs. the stickers do not leave a backing film on when applied, so look really professional. This lot , including the sponsor and G-SPAT registration decals for the Speed Air cost me £25 and I only used half of them.

I'm hopefully going to do something similar with my WOT4 Mk3 Kit when it arrives - I quite like the Red Bull scheme. Still undecided on a 4S or 6S setup, but have spare C5055-400kv motor for 6S and 4250-650Kv for 4S, problem is I don't want a really big prop, so higher Kv; of course I also want to keep the Amps reasonable. (i know holy grail stuff). 4-Max are doing some testing for me and I have a few similar set ups, so I'll see what George recommends.

Now converted over 10 models, all fly much better, with good torque throughout the rpm range; also collected a very expensive metal suitcase full of Lipos, mostly 30C and 3300 - 5800mah.

Edited By Ackers on 18/03/2010 06:51:36

If this is any help Ackers, My Wot 4 Classic flies well on a Scorpion 3032
680kV motor & 4S 3700mAh Lipos, with an APC 13x6.5. This gives around
48A at WOT ('scuse the pun).
This is about a .46 glow equiv & has plenty of power -  take offs on 2/3 throttle.
Been considering building another wottie & going for broke with 150+W/lb
with a 5S or 6S.

Richard, 

Thanks will check out the scorpion motor and see if it has the same output as any of my spare motors, save me buying another. You're set up sounds like it meets my ideal for my WOT4.

Also managed to get some big Red Bull decals for the WOT4 wings today! They say Red Bull gives you wings, hope they give mine 'wings'.