Alpha Models Thunderbolt

Ow dooo all,

i bought one of these to replace my Corsair, pilot inability!  I have the P-51 version which is excellent, helps to have an oversized leccy motor and 3 cell lipo , the problem i have with the Thunderbolt is its lack of manouverbility, wont loop without a 'power dive' to help it at the beginning and as for rolls, pahh seen better rolls on a British Rail train.  Have everything at 100%, whereas the P-51 is on about 60% and does everything well, replaced the the servos and the motor is good and pulls well, i use 2 cell 1800 lipo in it, but its just seems sooo sluggish and unwilling.  Has this anything to do with the fact the body could hide a suma wrestler behind it?  Seems very ermm bulbus to say the least?  Any ideas?

Why is it raining why why why

Advert

Hi all, thanks for responses........its using same negine as was in my P51 before i ahem upgraded it.....P51 pulled hard and was fine using 2 cell 1800.....friend who had Corsair was using an 850-1100 i think, definately smaller than battery i am using......its more the lack of wilingness to roll or loop......new servos, checked rate settings etc but just dont wanna do it

All my experience of Thunderbolt models is that they fly well, and the shape is nothing like the draggy issue it might appear.  None have needed much in the way of throws, either.

The nearest to yours I have owned was an EFlite foamy, on the original "low power" brushed motor............about as aerobatic as warbird sized surfaces possibly come, without excessive throws.  Floaty too with a surprising glide. Consecutive loop all day on 3/4 throttle, roll so fast if allowed only ailerons required to keep level.

Only you know how much punch you get from the motor/battery combination, does it drag itself out of your hand held 30 degrees up (!) without a throw or do you HAVE to chuck it.............if you have to chuck it hard to get it away then yes, it's most likely that combination (you still have not said what the motor is!!) is not helping at all.  It's NOT the battery size alone that matters, it's the match to the motor requirement.

The battery IS GOOD, isn't it???  It might have sagged between the P51 and it's new plane???

Personally, the ONLY things I have on 2S now are a (very) few tiny foamies. I use 3S on pretty much everything from 300mAh upwards. You can always throttle back!!! Not convinced that 2S is the problem per se though provided the motor matches it!!

Ok folks sorry not to get back sooner.....

specs
Xtra 2826/15 motor, can handle 2-3s lipo
APC 9x6 elec prop
Mystery 30A BEC ESC

could probably go to a 10x6 prop tho not 100% sure, all props sizes are from a model shop i trust.....tho i am sure there will be some going tsk tsk not right etc.
Used same engine and set up on P51 and the Corsair too.

All batteries are in good nick, charged before i fly and when is over balanced charged.  Tho some reckon you should leave them 1/2 charged til your ready to use them.  Not done that in the 3-4 years i have been using Lipos (Trex 450 heli) not had problems with batteries.

Launching is just over 3/4's throttle and i launch myself so its a throw but not a massive heave!

Its not so much power i am looking it, its it lack of 'throwability', now i know it does say its a 'docile' flyer, but.......

Looking at the spec Mark this is only a small motor...max current is 9A (60 sec) so if we assume you are pulling this 9A max & we assume about 7 volts for your 2S battery then that is... er.....63 watts. Not a lot!!!! Going up to a 3S battery for the same current would just about get you to 100watts which would be much better....you'd probably need a much smaller prop though to keep the current under the 9A limit

Do you have a wattmeter......if so what power does say you are consuming? (If not...why not???)

Don't know this model but I understand that the Alpha range are very good fliers.....

Ermm got a 'what' meter ...... cheers for the info Steve will try a 8x6 prop and slug 3s thru it.  Alphas do fly really well, which was fy i was surprised at lack of throwability in this one, could just be me, used to throwing the P51 one around, as they say all models fly differently.

Next up is the Phase 3 F-16......once i am 2.4ghz......Dear Easter Bunny s*d the egg gimme 2.4 pwease

MMM, yes, well...............

Specification
Weight:48g
Dimensions:28.8x26mm
NiCad/Ni-MH:6-10 cells
LiPo:2-3 cells
Operating:4-8A
Turns:15
RPM per Volt:1100
Current at Max Effic:9A/60s
Shaft dia:3.17mm

So that's 8 Amps, max operating................on a motor weighing 48g. Hardly staggering figures.

As a comparison, my GWS Corsair has a really cheap SP2212-10 driving a 8x4 and gives 130 Watts, flying around on half throttle and being very nimble with it ....and here's the killer, that's from only a 1000mAh 3S.

A2212-10 (140W) 1400Kv SP Brushless Outrunner Motor

Specifications:

* Kv: 1400 (Revs per volt)
* No load current @ 10v: 0.5A
* Voltage: 2-3S Lipo or 6-10 Cells Ni-xx
* Max Efficiency: 80%
* Max Current: 16A (60secs)
* Cont Current: 12-15A
* Dimensions: D27.5 x L30mm
* Shaft diameter: 3.17mm
* Weight: 47g
* Internal Resistance: 90 mÙ 

Now, Alpha models are very very lightweight (I have the Beaufighter currently), and there is no good reason why the Jug should not be "fleet of foot" as it were.

You do have to remember though that the prop wash is masked by the big fat nose...........so allow for that in prop sizing!!!