Jamara Bonanza

Advert

It's as if someone has cut the parts for me then handed them over but with not plan, just a sketch on a napkin.

This is not horrendus, but if you were a first time builder I think you would struggle
Compare this to an american kit (sig or stevens aeros from my experience) where you get a full size plan, a very thorough photo build guide and clearly identified parts.

This is challenging, and only a little frustrating.

Lack of plan is not a big issue if the components are identified and referenced by the build manual. Sadly niether plan or references are included in this kit (no identification on the parts themselves). I have enough experience to fill in the gaps, but I'm kind of waiting to make a mistake. E.g. Manual says add the triangle stock to the rear. The photo is useless and there is no triangle stock supplied, so I'm going to skip the step and retro fit once I know where it's going. At least with a plan or a more complete exploded diagram I wouldn't be working in the dark. These are minor niggles, it's going together very nicely and it's great to be building something Pat

I bought my kit in germany. there was an option for a printed plan , costs 5 bucks.
but on my cd there was a PDF with the same plan. So who needs a "real plan" ?
To print the file i used the "tiled" function and got a lot of paper out of my printer and glued it together.
I also think these kits are not for build rookies. I am glad to have enough expirence in building kits.
I found this build threat in a german forum   http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showthread.php?t=92261

with 3 servos

both including wheels and struts.

Got the diagram from Jamara (very helpful and responsive) fixed gear is to be made from 3mm wire and simply follows the contors of the ply pieces included in the kit. 45mm nose and 55mm foam main wheels for grass. Brc have retracts and motor esc combo on their way to me. I'm going with turnigy tg9s all round for servos.

Sorry, been busy. Wings are built, just need to skin the bottoms once I've decided on landing gear. Probably going to go fixed to start with. BRC sent me a nice motor - A2217-8T and a 45amp ESC with 5amp u-bec which will operate well within their ratings will run them up on the watt meter soon and let you know the draw. Going with Turnigy TG9s all round, 2 for the v tail, 2 for ailerons and 1 for flaps. My initial frustration with lack of plan has turned out to be unfounded as to be honest it's all very straight forward. More photos soon

• 1 month later...
lots done, lots still to do.

Got to secure the nose gear servo properly and fix the steerable wheel
unless I add yet another servo. Not really viable to run a snake from one of the rear v tail servos all the way to the nose wheel.

I must say from my initial reservations about the kit, this has gone together very well. The laser cut parts, once identified, fit very accurately.

I'm at the stage where my building slows right down as I fit the radio and make the linkages.

As posted elsewhere, I have to test potential current of all the servos to make sure I'm within the 3amp constant limit of my linear bec.

• 5 months later...
Finally nearing completion! What have I been doing all summer?
Oh yes ... flying ...

All up weight is 800g (spot on) although I've gone with fixed undercart to achieve this. This also saved me 3 servos. (1 each on retracting main and nose, plus 1 more for nose wheel steering) A good thing as it was getting very fiddly getting it all linked up and working.

A few photos of the build can be found below. I have one outstanding query re c/g, manual says 62mm - 65mm from leading edge. I need to know if this is measured at the root (which looks very forward) or from the kink in the leading edge which puts it behind the main spar.

Anyone know where I can get a nice lightweight spinner? motor shaft is 3.5mm and 42-45mm would look great.

Maiden will be on the next calm day