Pulse XT 40 Engine

Hi all,
I'm considering a new plane and a Pulse XT 40 is well up there on the list.  My question is will I be able to fit a Laser 70 in there?  I've got one knocking around in the cupboard and it seems such a shame to leave it there unused - I bought it for a project which never got completed...  
I've had a look at the manual and it says to fit the engine with the prop driver 4" from the firewall.  The Laser is 5" long with carb and exhaust etc...
If not would anyone have any suggestions as to what it would fit in?  By the time I'd get this one off the ground it'll be my 3rd model and I (hopefully) will be proficient with my Wot 4...
Any suggestions would be gratefully received...
Thanks
Graham 

wow, they were quick replies!
No, my engine is a 4 stroke - a good one from what I understand (bloomin expensive anyway!) which is why i think its such a shame to leave it sat in the cupboard...  I've heard nothing but good things about the Pulse which is why I was hoping the 2 would be a good match...

The one on Ebay had an SC52.  I couldn't tell you how it flew, but there's a review of the very same model in the review sections here, which subscribers can access.  I bought it and converted it to electric, so can't tell you how it flew, but it was the RCME review model, and the review was extremely positive.

Hi Graham,

I have just got a Pulse (Shhh - its the only ARTF I have - honest your honour!). Only had a couple of flights so far - seems a nice plane. Very smooth and precise. You will enjoy it.

The Laser 70 was one of the engines I considered for my Pup so I'm familar with its dimensions. Its an excellent engine.

Regarding fitting it in the Pulse, well in theory almost anything is possible, the question is... is it practical? One of the problems with any ARTF is you are stuck with the configuration someone else decided on. If you stick to the Pulse way of doing things it goes together very simply. But stray far outside that and you will have issues - some of them quite big issues!

First, you are going to have to cut quite a big hole in the firewall in order to accomdate the Laser's carburettor/air intake. The engine mount is pre supplied and the firewall is prefitted with all the captive nuts for both ic and electric installation. These facts mean that opening a hole in the firewall for the carb wont be trivial and you'd probably end up having to fit another one or at least a doubler for strength.

Second, the fuel tank is provided and fits exactly in the pre-shaped bay which is obviously designed for it. With the Laser extending rearwards and the rebuilt firewall you would probably have to abandon that tank and fit an alternative. Not in itself a problem, but there wouldn't be much length for this alternative tank - there is some "height" available at this point, so a new tank would have to be taller and shorter - not so easy to get. Otherwise you may end up with a very small tank with associated flight duration issues. The existing tank isn't over generous - I get about 20mins max with a GP42 up front. You could make a tank up out of soldered tinplate to fit the available space - depends on your soldering skills.

So there we have it. Its possible - but is it worth it? That's up to you You might be better either buying a cheap engine to fit in the Pulse and saving the Laser, or buy a model for which the Laser is more suited.

BEB

Thanks very much for all your replies.

BEB, I think you've confirmed what I was fearing.  I had an idea it would requie a bit of surgery to the firewall, but hadn't considered the implications and knock on effects behind that...  Perhaps I should think a bit more then as I'm sure I've not got the skills to carry out this level of modification and with an airframe as good as the Pulse I'm not sure I want to.

I do have a brand new OS 40 too, maybe this coud go in, I just thought that with this being right at the bottom of the engine recommendation the laser would be better as its smack in the middle of the suggested engine sizes.  Stephen, I think that as the laser is a 4 stroke it'd be too light on power for the bigger Pulse.

Or the other idea I had was to put the OS in a SLEC fun fly but wasn't sure how this would perform as its a mid wing design, would it be as much of a progression as a low wing design like the Pulse?

Graham

Just thought of an alternative. The only reason for the 4" spacing between the engine drive face and the firewall is the cowling. So two other possibilities come to mind...

1. Don't fit the cowling.

2. Leave the firewall as it is but extend the fuselage skin an inch or so allowing the engine drive to be where the Laser wants it to be and fix the cowling to the extension. It would work - I've seen it done on other models.

Be aware that both of these "solutions" would elongate the nose of the pulse which might have repercussions on the CoG - not to mention the plane's "good looks"

BEB 

BEB,

Great ideas!  Although, if you think the OS will do well in the Pulse then I may go for that, I would love to find a home for the Laser, but think I'll wait till I get the right airframe... 

I think the thing to do now is to approach the fund manager and get my justifications for "another new plane" in sharpish...

Wish me luck!

Graham

Ah, the usual line involves pointing out what a large investment the Laser represents, its such a pity its just sitting on the shelf, it doesn't do them any good to just sit here, engines need to be run. If only I had a ........(insert your desired airframe name here).

If that doesn't work you can always try

And as a last resort there is always

Best of luck

BEB

I've been doing a bit more research and I quite like the look of the SIG Somethin' Extra...  Does anyone have any experience of this kit?  I'd quite like the kit version and will then be able to fit the laser in and make any modifications where needed (or do I save that for my Tony Nijhuis Hurricane when my building and flying skills catch up with my daydreams?).   Was thinking that a built up cowl would finish the model off rather than just the blank cheeks that are standard.  O so much to think about!  Would this make a good 3rd model after/alongside my WOT 4?
PS the fund manager has authorised funds! - Much easier than expected too!

If you like the Pulse (it is a lovely smooth aerobatic plane) and you like your 70, then why not just buy a Pulse XT60 - same aircraft only slight bigger and will accept your engine. In my experience an OS40 will be a bit underpowered and limit a Pulse 40s aerobatic prowess effectively leaving you with a low wing trainer only.

Sig something extra is OK, but expensive as an ARTF (more than the Pulse 60); as a kit it's time consuming and if you've already got some unfinished kits (we all have them), then this might go the same way.

follow your heart/instinct and go for he Pulse 60 and fit the Laser 70, you will not regret it.

• 2 weeks later...