Parkzone Stryker F-27b Brushless Upgrade

I've managed to obtain a Parkzone Stryker F-27b at a good price and need to put in a 28mm brushless inrunner motor and ESC in order to run a prop (approx 6x4) around 2000kv.

So I'm posting here in the hope that the more experienced of you will offer some advice and recommendations on setup (Motor / ESC / Battery C rating, etc.)

Looking on Giant Cod I have the following pencilled in to buy, what do you think?

Motor    ESC    

Advert

Thanks for the endorsement Timbo, I was hoping you would drop by.

I might be able to get by with a 30A ESC but I was thinking that investing in a 40A would be a better option just in case I upgrade the motor later on. The weight difference between a 30A - 40A  ESC won't be an issue in this plane with that motor.

Hi Allan,

I was running my F-27 on a 15c 11.1 2200mah, with a Walkera 380M 3100 kv (3mm shaft) motor (from their heli range), that motor will replace the stock motor in the stock motor mount.

I also used a folding 8 x 5 - 8x6 with a spinner for less drag and no prop damage - was nice and gentle in turns etc and still quick (reasonably docile for training) - runs better with 6 x 4 or 6 x 3 - very quick and super agile-- I was using a cheap Tower 25a esc

the lipo had to be moved forward for CG due to motor weight, and that required the bulkhead to be cut, you might get a 4 cell 2500 35C in and not have to move lipo so far forward.

Just a note here that my buddy ran a 80A Castle Creations esc with Evolution 2200 20c and a Mega motor (1615 i think) - didn't go any faster than mine and the 80A was less responsive and also had shorter duration, so I gave him a spare Tower 30A, he was amazed and told every body at the local AF that he thought it was faster than the Castle 80A or Castle 40A he bought.

Either way with a Walkera 380 you will be amazed at the crack and you won't need an upgrade.

Marty

You won't go wrong with a Hextronic 36A

• 4 weeks later...
Well this plane has been flying for a week now on the 18A in-runner I linked in the posting above from Giant Cod.

It will do for now and just about holds it's own all up weight, running a 6x4 prop @ 15A and 170watts and I'm getting an easy 15-20mins flight time.

Can't grumble but would like a motor to make it go mental !

I have one with a HET 2-20 motor 4cell 2200mah battery, 50 amp speedcontrol and a 6x4 prop.  how much faster do you want to go, mine needed upgraded servos as they wouldnt pull at full speed, good flight time and will still glide all day if needed.
All fitted without mods

Not sure where you read I was flying in a quiet zone, unless you read my post about buying a Hawk and was thinking about joining Greenacres MAC.

They have strict flying times for certain types of aircraft as their patch is also used by the public.

I was hoping to get the Stryker to go unlimited vertical and at least be able to keep up with my Blizzard. Currently have a 2000kv motor and now unsure if I should buy a 3000kv or 4000kv motor.

This motor looks tasty   

Yip it was the hawk thread i was reading about noise.
The het 2-20 motor in my stryker is 3450 kv . and unlimited vertical isnt a problem.
I have to remove the 4cell imediately after a fast flight tho as it does heat up some, its a 25c 2200 mah .

• 1 year later...
It's a shame that with the arrival of the Q variant, parts for the F-27 a/b/c variants are like finding hens teeth.

I don't like the looks of the new Q model.

If anyone is looking parts, eBay is your best bet.
Make sure you search 'worldwide' as many sellers in the US have stock.

• 3 months later...
I've started to experiment with my old F-27c Stryker and upgraded the motor from 2200kv to 3900kv

Model Motor kv Prop Amps Watts
Stryker 2200 6x4 14 160
Stryker 3900 4.75 x 5.5 50 550
Stryker 3900 6x4 60 620

In the process my 3S 20C 2200mAh Li-Po swelled up during a burst test and I've come to realise that I needed to buy a smaller kv motor (I've over done it!).

Which led me on to wonder how many amps max I can get out of the stated Li-Po pack above. The following table is my calculations:

Battery C Rating (Normal) Battery Capacity (mAh) Battery Capacity (Amps) Draw Amps (Normal) Recommended (Amps)
20 2200 2.2 44 22
25 2200 2.2 55 27.5
30 2200 2.2 66 33
35 2200 2.2 77 38.5
40 2200 2.2 88 44

At a rough estimate it looks like I should be going for 300amps using a 6x4 prop on a 2200mAh 20C pack.

I kinda been experimenting with the SkyArtec Skyfun jet too.
Stock motor was poor, although a 1800mah 3s was still 50% full after a 15 min flight.
The jet itself was slow and boring, so I thought lets see how far we can push it.
Added some carbon fibre rods (why it isn't supplied with any is beyond me lol.)
The esc was changed for an 80A from the stock 25A.
The motor was changed to an 2836 2350kv 3S-4S
Next was prop, stock prop was 6x4 extrememly flexy, this was changed to a 5x5e and then to a rigid 6x4.

I know the Esc is a bit overkill but for experimenting purposes it works well
Batteries tested have been a 1800 25c 3s, 2200 30c 3S, 2100 35C 3S
And the most fun so far is the 1800 40C 4S, although it gets quite warm.

I'll have to run it through the watt meter again, as i've forgotten the watts and amps.
It's ballistic now, unlimited vert, gets small pretty quick.
But I think the excitement has worn off now.

• 5 months later...

Just for completeness of this thread I thought I would round off by saying what I have found to be the perfect setup for this airframe. My goal in the end was to get maximum performace in terms of speed/unlimited climb but without having to upgrade the 3s 20c 2200mAh battery pack and 40amp ESC.

Motor: Emax B2846 2800kv (brushless inrunner)
Prop: APC-e 6 x 4
Static output readings: 320 Watts @ 32 Amps

This setup gives an easy 10 minutes of madness with the motor and battery only getting luke warm.

It's a shame that this version of the Stryker is no longer available, however the same setup may be useful for a Jamara Roo or other similar type of airframe.