Securing Motor Mount

Hey all,
I've been building a FlyingWings Raven (http://www.flyingwings.co.uk/store/product_info.php?cPath=157_145&products_id=626, came wuth motor/ESC) for a while, and whilst the screws to mount the outrunner to it's metal radial mount are provided, none are supplied to mount the radial mount to the wooden one (basically the motor block is a foam mount, the radial mount is supposed to be attached to a wooden mount which is then glued onto the foam block). This has lead me to a conundrum: should the metal mount be glued directly onto the wooden one (I assume this may be rather vulnerable to vibrations), or should I screw the two together?

Advert

I have a flying wings raven. It's a fantastic wing. I simply glued the ply mount to the epp block with por used as contact adhesive. Then taped the aluminium mount to to the ply to act as a guide to drill the wood, drill undersize so the self rappers supplied with the kit can get a good bite. I have over 30 hours on mine now and have never had a problem with the engine mount. I have folded the wings twice but that's another story.

Hi Mal, nope the prop is not on backwards, it's a 6x5.5 so looks a little weird and the front of the prop is definitely facing the direction of flight.

As to catching a small epp foam wing on the glide being incredibly dangerous... I'm not sure I see things quite the same way as you. I (and many others) can also catch their DLG gliders.

I guess I'm lucky to have my own field in my own back yard so I can be responsible for my own actions without need for a safety officer.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm terribly sorry about posting then disappearing, exams have been throwing everything skewy so now up is black and left is quadrangular. My apologies. The Raven probably won't be reattended to until after ASs end, and possibly after term ends. Last time I worked on it, I was on the verge of gluing in the servos before coming to terms with the fact that I really should be trying to get the motor on the poor thing soon or I'd never get it done at all.
Supplied screws? I need another look in the box. Haven't seen any yet, just the motor-->radial mount ones. Oh well.

No apologies necessary Mat, plenty of time for flying after exams are finished. Good luck with it all. I think you are right, there were no screws in the kit. I must have had some suitable self tappers to hand. I know you are going to have a blast once you get her up and running. It is just so forgiving and begs to be wrung out

Edited By rActive on 27/05/2010 22:44:35