Red Ned's Ribs

Mornin' all, does anyone have any good methods for cutting/drawing the ribs for the tapered outer wing panels for Red Ned? On the plan there is a template for R10 the outer rib and a template for R1 the inner.  There is taper both in height and span and I've considered the sandwich method - I don't think its gonna work too well especially in the vertical - any ideas? I hope someone is not going to tell me there are templates on the plan hidden away somewhere and I have missed them

Advert

With out seeing the plan( I will not get it for another month or so),the sandwich method is about the easyest way to do a taper'ed rib profile. What I have done at time's is to add a sacrificial rib ( marked with a black felt tip marker) in between each of the REAL rib's. This make's the taper not so abrupt. And the marked rib's are used any time I need a scrap piece as a filler somewhere.

Hope this works for you.

Ken

If you look at the plan Myron you'll see that only R1 and R10 are shown in profile. As the ribs reduce in height and length its not possible to just 'cut them out of your wood' without either assuming a profile ie guessing, or feeding the R1 and R10 profile into a Wing design CAD program. Ken's solution is a good compromise! 

PS
How the devil did people / engineers ever design & build a flying machine without the aid of a computer -They used their inefficient human brains ! But guess what ? -it worked !
You now know why I'm a grumpy old man -Nothing personal honest .-I'm just old fashioned ! Like I said before -Maybe all "old people" should be put down at birth .

• 2 months later...
Tried CAD, then went back to my A0 drawing board and Toyho draughting head,problem was if I made a mistake it may go undetected until a lot of work had been done then you suddenly find that things will not come together where they should.
On a drawing board you can see straight away where you screwed up, lines will be too long or too short or at the wrong angle or radius, if a drawing is important I draw it with a fine pencil first and once finished 'ink' in all the stuff I need to keep and rub out the pencil lines of what I dont,

regards,        Terry

If you measure the length of W1 and W10 then divide the difference by 9 (the amount of spaces between ribs) you can calculate the lengths of W2 to W9, scan W1 into Photoshop and just reduce the scan in size by the answer i.e;
Assuming that the wing is a straight taper-
W1 = 250mm ,W10 = 130mm so 250 - 130 = 120 / 9 = 13.33 so W1 - 13.33 = 236.5 approx for the length of W2 ,and W3 would be 13.33mm shorter and so on, the hight is automatically calculated by Photoshop and reduced by a corresponding amount, Photoshop isnt just for reworking photographs, it can be used for all sorts of manipulations of plans and scaling etc,

regards,      Terry