The mighty Cherub

Barnesyboy

Well with this awsome weather we have had this week, i thought it time to do some flat field electric glider flying again, Its been some 4-5 years since i last did it,

So Saturday i begun work on my little Cherub, under 40 quid for a ARTF with brushed 400 motor, By dinner time the build was over couple of Specktrum
7.5grm servos, a 20amp esc, Specki 6200 RX, and a 3s lipo 2200mah (although a smaller one around 1500mah would have been better.)

Sadly I had to wait for the maiden, which came Monday evening, Tuesday saw me stretch its legs

Advert

• 3 weeks later...

Saw one at my club a few days ago and for £40 decided to take the plunge; normally fly my WOT4 Mk3 and Galaxy Magician, so this quickie ARTF will be new ground for me, but It looked quite sedate, yet sporty aerobatic (for a 3ch).

I intended to use a 2S 1800mah lipo with the original speed 400 brushed motor. Is this enough ooomph? I've seen other recommendations on another thread by Timbo that opted to fit a brushless 175 watt motor. I would prefer to use my 2S, but I also have some 'spare' 1300 and 2200 mah 3S lipos.

It should arrive tomorrow or tues, so I plan to maiden by next weekend.

Sorry I missed the posts on this one,

Ackers, the speed 400 is fine, mine in the vid is on the stock motor but i only had a small prop availible so went with 3s, ive since uped the prop and gone to 2s 1500mah and the performance is fine, Its a floater so i didnt want it ripping round the sky.

I dont see the Ali mod as a difficult thing to do but to be honest i dont see the point

BB

I used the standard setip, speed 400 and folding prop from overlander. sadly bent the motor shaft so after digging through my spares boxes, found a 200w wasp motor and a alloy spinner 8x6 folding prop. at first glance seems slightly overpowered but on a 2S 1800mah lipo it pulls about 90 watts and 12 Amps. Flew in the field behind the house tonight and the power is great, not overpowered but sufficient; its probably not so different from the speed 400. I suspect using a 3S will be far too overpowered.

Your right, rudder and elevator flying is fine, unless you want to do be more aerobatic than stall turns and gentle flight. In any case, i'm not sure ailerons would be that effective on a very dihedral wing; the wing would need to be straighter.

That aside, its a great plane, nice a light and a good flyer. I found the kit needs some strengthening and modifying in areas, particularly the wing dowel area, but for £40 its a real bargain.

• 1 year later...
The Cherub is a good all rounder every one in our group has one ,I think adding ailerons would be pointless although we have all fitted brushless motors for better efficiency and the esc is cheaper .
I converted one to 2.5 m wing span by adding a 1m center section this one is away at the slightest hint of rising air.