Eye Protection

Had a beautiful mornings flying, with blue skies and a bright warm sun in the sky, yesterday. However, as the day progressed it became harder to concentrate on flying as my eyes started to sting and water. This later manifested itself into a migrane level headache and sore eyes(back of the eye sore.)
I do fly with sunglasses, and with ESS safety glasses with a smoke lense.

The reason for this thread is, what sunglasses are very good for flying with? A price selection; Value £5-£30, Mid £35-£100 and High £100 + might also be invaluable to others.

I'm sure it's been discussed before, but with the possibility of a bright summer of flying, I think this may be relevant now.

Your thoughts, Gents and Ladies?

Advert

Hi garthy l have a wide brimmed hat and sunnies when lm flying if the hat can cast a shadow over your eyes you will be fine as squinting gives you a headache Cheers........... mark ps can you not fly with the sun behind you

Cheers Timbo for the links....had an idea this may have been an issue before!

Mark, this is a problem with the sun behind me! As the day goes on though it becomes more of a side sun. I fly on an airfield and we tend to go up and down, regardless of wind direction. You do your best to avoid looking at the sun but at certain times it can't be helped.
Poor weather can't win........overcast, windy and rain or clear skies, no wind and piercing sunshine!
It doesn't help having fair hair and blue eyes, I'm just designed to be photosensitive I suppose. 

A factor often overlooked here is UV exposure. Folks think that if they get "dark sunglasses" and hence cut down the light intensity and the squinting that's fine. But these glasses often do not cut down on the UV that you can't see but is potentially highly damaging to your eyes. It also doesn't depend as much as you might think on the direction of the sun - the whole sky emits at least some UV on a sunny day as the air scatters it.

My advice is always check the UV factor on the glasses if they are for flying. Personally I use UV400 glasses which offer good protection. Though I believe that you can get 800 and even higher now.

BEB

One danger  with not using sunglasses with good uv protection is Macular Degeneration. This condition causes loss of central vision, leaving only peripheral vision and is mainly a problem with people over 50 or so. Which will leave people unable to read or watch tv for example.  And certainly not able to fly our toys.

Age related macular degeneration affects, I understand, about 25% of the older population but uv can cause damage too.

The uv damages the macular which is a very tiny point at the back of the eye and is used for central focus.  There are two types 'Wet' (where there is bleeding causing the damage) and 'Dry' where the cells are also destroyed.

There is no real cure for this condition at the moment although it was announced earlier this year that a new treatment was being developed  -  for, I believe, the 'Wet' type of degeneration.

'Google'  MD for a fuller explanation.

Take care with uv.