lipos in parallel

Advert

In answer to your question as one who doesn't know ,I always sort of exagerate it in my mind to come to some sort of conclusion over any problem . Here goes !
Would you put in parallel a 1000 v battery with a 1v battery (even with the same capacity ?) ,The obvious answer is NO . Food for thought  Eh !

It is possible but its a bad idea. as soon as you connect them up the larger voltage battery will start charging the other and then under load it is likely you will discharge the smaller battery below its safe level
parallelling up two same capacity lipos is fine

Edited By Phil B on 27/05/2010 15:04:01

Posted by John Laverick on 27/05/2010 14:51:16:
Hi Guys,

is it possible to parallel a 2s to a 4s lipo, both 3000ah both 20c or do they have to be the same voltage, ie two 3s, two 4s etc?

Thanks

John

NO.  Do not parallel mix batteries of different voltage.

Thanks guys,

so that's a NO then but I have another question in the same vain. If I had two batteries both of the exact same spec in parallel, and let's just say one was in better nick than the other and  the lesser battery started to lose it's power quick smart, would the better battery try and start to charge it thus causing  a problem as suggested by Phil.

Just a thought

John

Not quite charging....once the two packs are in parallel its impossible for one to have a different voltage to the other, and the capacity is of course the sum of the two packs.
The slight danger is that if both packs are not the same "C" rated and the current draw is very high, this could put strain on the smaller pack. For this reason, its always best to try  to only use identical packs in any parallel or series configuration.