Luton Minor + Sep 2010 free plan

Richard Wicker

Just showing you my colour scheme for my first go at building from a plan.quite enjoyed doing the plane but my pilot leaves a lot to be desired. Hope to be flying it soon

Advert

Baza,
You inspired me to do a dry fit of what I have completed so far
You covering scheme looks great, I found a couple of photo's of a full size luton minor with that color scheme.
Pilots are fun to build but they take me a lot of time, I use polystyrene and have another store brought pilot bust on hand to get the right diamensions. If something isnt looking right I just cut that part off and use some white glue to glue another block on and start again.
-Reuben

Hey Reuben,

Looking good!

The pics are really helping, with yours and foamie daves i'm getting there! Keep em coming.

I had a few Q's but cant remember what they were now!

Anyhow, looking at your latest pics, how are you fixing the covers to the underside of the fuz? Whats the best thing to hinge them with?

Its these little details that all you experienced modelling guys take for granted that i struggle with !!

Awesome job Reuben, puts my humble effort to shame !! (great looking dummy engine & exhaust detail )

Baza, completely agree with Steve. The EX is a fine TX but go with 9 gram servos on the Minor. I used Hitec HS55's which are pretty similar to the ones Steve suggested and worked a treat.

Dougy, I just pre-bent  the lipo door to the correct radius, added a thin smear of balsa cement to the inside and left to dry to give a good surface to adhere to. Once set, stick a strip of filement tape (fiberglass packing tape)  to the inside and its keeps its nice curved shape. ..easy peasy

For hinging, again ether filement tape or just let the solarfim act as a hinge by adding a secondary strip inside, mating with the covering to stop it peeling back  (similar to a control surface hinge on a shocky) 

Thanks steve and dave for the advice about the servos i ordered them from airtek and they arrived within a couple of days. As I have only had rc cars before I was surprised how small the servo's are. Thank you to Reuben for the idea about the trap door, Iv'e done the same Was wondering where to get the magnet for the door and then looking round the house I found an old mobile phone cover which had a magnet to hold it shut so used that.  Going to start on the undercarriage as it is still snowing here.

Looks very nice guys....interesting that they are both blue & white.....I've just started cutting out the bits for mine....don't think I will be posting any build pics as your efforts will put mine to shame........

Reuben that facsimile of a VW engine is superb.....I & I think many others would appreciate more info on how you achieved it.....materials/methods used....finish etc....you could do a build blog on just the engine!!!!!

Lol....
Thanks guys, I will make some time this weekend
I've got some good comments from some flying mates that have seen the luton on my build bench which is positive and the comments on here really help to keep me motivated.
Steve you should post some pic's on here, mine has some little quirks that didn't quite go as I thought they would but I just put it down to experiance and I'm sure no two full size luton minors are exactly the same
-Reuben