Luton Minor + Sep 2010 free plan

Richard Wicker

I don't want to speak for Dave but I suspect he will have top hinged his ailerons with tape or covering film.....

If you want to use actual hinges then I would suggest you fit them to the centre of the aileron with a chamfer above & below in the conventional way. You could arrange the differential either mechanically or electronically at your Tx...

HTH...

Advert

Hi Fellas,

The proto just had conventional cheapy hinges slotted just above centre so you can get away with a slight chamfer on top. Its not critcal, it just made for a neater finish up top.

Like Steve says top hinging would probably be easier (in hindsight) but I'm a glutton for punishment. (PS like the predictive txt email Steve..nice one)

Once you're airborne, just tweak the throws and mixes like Rueben says till you get it to fly how you like. You can add a positive rudder mix (ie same direction as the ailerons ) to help bank into turns, or opposite rudder to to keep it flatter or fly without any mixes at all ..its personal preference

Theres a few pics in my photo album if that helps here 

Happy Building !!

Edited By Foamie Dave on 11/08/2011 17:27:38

Thanks Dave>>

I have looked at the picks ypu posted and it appears that your prototype differs slightly from the plan, helpful none the less.>>

Would also like to know if some others have tramped in the same trap as I did in making the fuse sides to short by not compensating for the curve? I was just going to adjust a few things but have decided to get another plank and redo the sides, this time making them a bit longer than shown.>>

Reuben I have saved your build pics as I would also like the servo, and battery hatches with the removable cowl>>

Hi Donald,

Sometimes during the build you stumble on things that may be tricky to replicate or just easier / better / quicker ways of doing it than the original, so always take my build pics at face value. Like you say they hopefully might help shed a little light whats under the skin...or make things even worse .

The curvature of the fuselage is so slight it shouldnt really effect the overall play of things. As long at the incedence of the wing / tail surfaces is ok and the cg set right you shouldnt go far wrong.

Half the fun is to do what Reuben and a few others have done and adapt the construction to suit your own needs. I dont think Ive ever built a kit or from plan that I havnt modified in some way shape or form...modding as you go is a great way to learn. If it works you'll remember for next time..if not , you'll also remember it

• 11 months later...

Resurrecting an old, nay ancient thread.....my Luton Minor is now finished.....it seemed to be on the bench for ages, probably because it was.....about 18 months since I fist cut balsa embarrassed...in my defence I have to say that a couple of other models got sneaked into the building schedule & finished ahead of this one.....I really must learn to finish one before I start another.....

Anyway, still unflown but here she is.....

Ooops...hang on thats the full size......

luton minor.jpg

luton minor (4).jpg

luton minor (1).jpg

Lets see how she flies........smile d

• 1 year later...

Dave,

this thread may have gone cold, but I thought I would post a couple of questions on your Luton Minor plan. I loved the look of this little model and it has been on my list to build for a little while. Anyway here are the questions:

1) are the cabana struts simply glued into the fuselage ?

2) Is the motor mount really just laminated balsa and not ply?

hope the prototype is still going strong .

Dave

Hi Dave, Is it nearly 4 years old already, it only seems like a year or so ago crook

Yes, simply glue the cabanes in position. If you wish to add re-enforcement, keep it minimal to keep the weight down. Also, should something untoward happen crying 2 its best the cabanes break free without causing further structural damage to the fuselage.

Again, a balsa firewall will be just fine. If in doubt laminate with an off-cut of 1mm ply however anything more is overkill and again adding unnecessary weight.

Keep everything as light as possible and it'll fly like a peach - start adding the ounces and you'll have a mini pylon racer on your hands wink 2

Thanks for the quick Reply Dave, much appreciated.

Another question:

Do the 1/8th wing tips sit on top of the 1/16 th sheet wing like the trailing edge upright? I assume everything except the leading edge and the ailerons sits on top of the bottom sheet.

I am looking forward to starting this one.

cheers

dave

• 2 weeks later...

Dave,

I am wondering about the forward extent of the fuselage sides on the plan, which shows that they end at the rear side of the motor mount former. This does not look consistent with the pictures of your prototype which appears to have these extending all the way to the front of the nose. Is this a mistake on the plan? Needless to say that I gave just cut out the sides and formers and am wondering if I have to remake these or improvise.

there always seems to be least one error introduced by the rcme plans draftsman to keep the balsa merchants in business.

cheers

dave

Edited By david fillingham 1 on 28/05/2014 21:51:42

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Must've missed it somewhere but what is the span of the free plan version? I'm keen to build one around 48" as my first build in about 65 years.

Now where did I put that balsa plane and the stripper (er. the balsa one). This'll be electric; any recommendations for the power setup?

Been reading avidly the original build comments arising from the 2010 free plan. Great stuff. Expect mine will be a Great Stuff Up

Ta in advance

Rex

• 5 months later...