Removing epoxy

Hogster

Hi all,

I have recently acquired a second hand  ARTF trainer. It has not been assembled very well IMHO and one of the major problems is that epoxy glue has been used to secure the hinges. In itself maybe not so much of a problem but they did a pretty messy job of it. The glue has oozed all over the hinge to such an extent that it is restricting the movement of the control surfaces.

I have heard that epoxy can be dissolved with nail varnish remover or paint stripper. Does anyone have experience of this or can suggest an alternative method of curing the problem?

Advert

I think I would avoid chemical solutions as they could affect the fixing of the hinge too!
Could you not just persistently pick away with some tweezers, scalpel blade etc?

In a similar very severe case some years back, I resorted to cutting right through the hinges, cut off flush, and re-fitted my own in slightly different positions along the control surfaces.

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 29/06/2010 11:25:10

Hi Tim,

I have tried picking at them with a scalpel. But it really is laborious. I have considered cutting right through and refitting new ones. It might be the best option on the ailerons. But there isnt` much room to reposition them on the elevator and rudder.

Of course if I can dissolve all the epoxy and remove the hinge that way, I think that would be ideal.